Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

no AYC, ACD?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2002, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no AYC, ACD?

I know no one can confirm on the specs of the car but so far what everyone is hearing are just rumors. Rumors that I have heard so far, 250hp, Evo8, Awd, Brembo brakes, Recaro seats, but I havent heard anything about AYC or ACD?!!? yea, yea, these are just rumors but the way I see it is that AYC and ACD might not be available for the US market. No confirmation but it looks slim and it would suck if the US market dont have those options. Doesnt look good to me. I test drove a Evo7 RHD in Malaysia and all I can say is that thing hauls ***. Even if it is 250hp it should still be as fast, i hope
Old Aug 15, 2002, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anything, I would hope AYC and ACD are options if not standard. I don't see myself ever getting in enough trouble for AYC, but ACD I would like ... especially since it snows pretty good in Chicago!

Mike
Old Aug 15, 2002, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, it needs to at least have acd. The ayc system takes up space which doesn't allow a very big gas tank. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they left off the ayc to give the US market a tank with more capacity. Maybe they'll figure out a way to give us both though.
Old Aug 15, 2002, 11:13 PM

what is AYC and ADC? or whatever thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2002, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

AYC = Active Yaw Control. Computer controls brakes and wheels if the car does too much of something it shouldn't. Basically human-error correction in high-speed turns.

ACD = Active Center Differential. If you saw an EVO, there's a ACD switch and 3 modes: Tarmac (street), Gravel and Snow. This is GOOD
Old Aug 15, 2002, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Also, capacity of the Evo VII gas tank is around 12.68 gallons. Most cars in the US its size would have 14-15.5 gallon tank.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

The current US Lancer only has a 13.2 gallon tank....but the Evo will get worse gas mileage also.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

I think we are willing to sacrifice fuel economy and ride comfort for sheer lateral G-Forces and punch-in-the-chest acceleration

Old Aug 16, 2002, 01:45 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Anybody knows if the ayc could be turned off?
Old Aug 16, 2002, 03:12 AM
Evolving Member

Yes. I don't think they can legally make it stay on all the time. It's an optional drivers assist.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 05:11 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

I'm pretty sure the ACD is always on. You can only choose the mode that your in.

The AYC can't be turned off. You might be able to disable it by pulling some wires off the AYC control unit... But on the Evo 7 the AYC is integrated with the ACD control unit so you would cause all sorts of problems.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

AYC=while turning on fast speeds the AYC kicks in and the outer rear wheel will have more spin to give it more traction. I think thats what it does. Have any of you guys seen Best Motoring from Japan on the Evo7? That car just spanks the WRX STI in every video around the tracks. Its always in the top 3 against the NSX and R-34 fighting for first place. Its awesome to see the Evo7 pass the WRX by the first lap and starting on the grid 2 to 3 cars behind! They usually have the fastest car in the back and usually its the Subaru in the first 2 rows. Gotta see it to belive it
Old Aug 16, 2002, 03:57 PM

i have a top gear video where the guy test drove the EVO 7 and the WRX STi. he said he liked the STi better cause it had more power and you can get it to drift so easy. you can get the EVO to drift that easy when you got AYC.

personally i dont want the AYC for that reason, but i hope it comes with it standard so the little kiddies dont crash their car when they try to drift it. and for the ACD i rather see that then the AYC, being able to change your AWD ratio is the best part, especalliy when i get the car it will be seeing more snow then tarmac
Old Aug 18, 2002, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Doesn't anyone out there besides Mitsubishi insiders know whether it's going to have ACD/AYC? I mean, we have the Vegas pictures - didn't they announce any specs there? Didn't anyone look under the hood there? Just surprised this is still unknown.
Old Aug 18, 2002, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

silverkorn,

it amazes me that so many people are bashing the AYC because it doesn't let you drift that easy. Have you for a second stopped and thought about WHEN you will be drifting? Is that something you'd do every day? Are you gonna rally compete with this car? If not, I hate to tell you but usually drifting is not the fastest way around a corner. On a race track you usually want to keep a solid line and not drift your way around a corner. On an Autocross course you will make some calculated drifting (notice I said SOME) but nothing the AYC can't help with. The AYC is a nuisance in rally, where drivers constantly drift around corners on gravel, snow, tarmac. But again, unless you are Rally driving, the AYC can actually help you out with your lap times.

It seems almost everyone on this board talk **** about the AYC. Have you even tried it?

I know that soon after I start competing with my new Evo7 RS2, I will post some comments about the AYC. I will not be rally racing, so the AYC is staying on for now. I'll be doing AutoXes and race track events.

Quick Reply: no AYC, ACD?