Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tips for avoiding Brembo paint damage when bleeding brakes?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2015, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Tips for avoiding Brembo paint damage when bleeding brakes?

As the title states, what steps can you take to avoid all damage to your brembo paint when bleeding the brakes?

The first time I bled my brakes I managed to do most of the damage you see in this picture (I really don't know how it's possible but I guess brake fluid is that damaging to paint?):

The second time I did it (yesterday) I started using a water bottle to spray down the calipers. This seemed better but I still feel like I did some damage. It seemed like brake fluid was somehow coming from under the nipple instead of it all going into the tube feeding into my bleeder bottle.

Is it possible that if you turn it slightly more than the point where fluid starts coming out of the nipple that it would be loose enough for fluid to seep from the around the threads?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 04:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Are you using any kind of hose connected to the nipple to drain the fluid?

If you loosen the nipple too much, it will leak through the threads. A quarter of a turn usually is enough to let the fluid drain.

Use your water bottle or even a hose connected to a tap to "wash" each caliper after bleeding. Make sure you are throwing water in every direction, even vertically, as the brake fluid will always "hide" somewhere.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I always get damage too. The only way I know of avoiding it is never bleeding brakes. All that seems to suffer damage is clear coat. It is not a big priority to me but someday I suppose I will repaint the calipers. Mostly I want the brakes to work.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
I always get damage too. The only way I know of avoiding it is never bleeding brakes. All that seems to suffer damage is clear coat. It is not a big priority to me but someday I suppose I will repaint the calipers. Mostly I want the brakes to work.
There must be a way. I can't imagine a customer would be happy if a shop was bleeding their brakes and caused this damage.

Originally Posted by psfp
Are you using any kind of hose connected to the nipple to drain the fluid?

If you loosen the nipple too much, it will leak through the threads. A quarter of a turn usually is enough to let the fluid drain.

Use your water bottle or even a hose connected to a tap to "wash" each caliper after bleeding. Make sure you are throwing water in every direction, even vertically, as the brake fluid will always "hide" somewhere.
I'm using this:

So say you went a half of a turn more, do you think fluid would leak through the threads?

I didn't think it would because it seems there is a good amount of threads on the bleeder screw:

Old Nov 8, 2015, 05:18 PM

I use the Motive bottle as well and I only slightly damaged one caliper after 5+ fluid changes because I wasn't careful enough. All other calipers are perfect.

If you have pressure in the system, once you start to loosen the bleeder, the fluid will come out through the nipple but will also try to escape through the threads. If the threads aren't tight against each other (bleeder vs caliper), you will have some clearance that will allow the fluid to leak. I don't know if I were clear enough, but what I mean is that the fluid will run around the threads.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Use the tube method as stated above and losen the nipple just enough to get flow, if you get dribble, close the nipple and spray it immediately with cleaner.

By the way all the clear coat peal isnt because of brake fluid, its over heating damage that all brembo's suffer from when driven hard over the years. I scraped off all my clear coat then cleaned up the red under coat then did a VHT clear coat respray, it comes up pretty good again, other then that you'll need to do a full re spray if you leave it to long and damage your red undercoat
Old Nov 8, 2015, 05:35 PM

Overheating damage tends to turn the "Brembo" writing yellow before any other sign, so I don't think that it would be the case. It would also darken the red paint in an uniform way.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jonno99
Use the tube method as stated above and losen the nipple just enough to get flow, if you get dribble, close the nipple and spray it immediately with cleaner.

By the way all the clear coat peal isnt because of brake fluid, its over heating damage that all brembo's suffer from when driven hard over the years. I scraped off all my clear coat then cleaned up the red under coat then did a VHT clear coat respray, it comes up pretty good again, other then that you'll need to do a full re spray if you leave it to long and damage your red undercoat
I was actually looking into doing that earlier.

If my other calipers are only slightly damaged around the nipple could I just strip the clear coat around that area and then respray, or would I want to strip the clear coat on the whole thing and respray?

I use the Motive bottle as well and I only slightly damaged one caliper after 5+ fluid changes because I wasn't careful enough. All other calipers are perfect.

If you have pressure in the system, once you start to loosen the bleeder, the fluid will come out through the nipple but will also try to escape through the threads. If the threads aren't tight against each other (bleeder vs caliper), you will have some clearance that will allow the fluid to leak. I don't know if I were clear enough, but what I mean is that the fluid will run around the threads.

Yeah I think that's my problem. After the catch bottle fills up a decent amount and the tube has filled I tend to loosen the nipple more because I can't tell that brake fluid is still coming out... I feel like an idiot now

Overheating damage tends to turn the "Brembo" writing yellow before any other sign, so I don't think that it would be the case. It would also darken the red paint in an uniform way.
Yeah this is not from heat. My own stupidity

Here are 2 of my other calipers:

Old Nov 8, 2015, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Petroleum jelly. Just don't put it on messy and get it on the pads.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 03:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The bad one needs to be done but the others you might be able to just lightly buff back the little patches then maybe VHT clear coat spray onto a small paint brush then touch them up, this would get a layer of protection back on your red
Old Nov 9, 2015, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I wash off my caliper, pour water over them into a trough.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kpt6
Petroleum jelly. Just don't put it on messy and get it on the pads.
Hmm that sounds interesting. Didn't even think of that

Originally Posted by Jonno99
The bad one needs to be done but the others you might be able to just lightly buff back the little patches then maybe VHT clear coat spray onto a small paint brush then touch them up, this would get a layer of protection back on your red
I'm probably going to PM you about this if you don't mind.

Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
I wash off my caliper, pour water over them into a trough.
Yeah I think water is huge in avoiding damage. Unfortunately I didn't really examine my calipers before I did the bleed the first time, but I think most of the damage was caused the first time I didn't use water..
Old Nov 9, 2015, 08:24 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
just wrap a rag around the nipple before you crack it open and hold it there during the bleeding. If any leaks on the rag just turn the rag so that the fluid soaked part doesn't contact the paint. When you are done clean everything off with your choice of cleaning fluid. Brake parts cleaner would do, but i just use simple green.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have always used a Mityvac hand vacuum pump and the brake bleeding container that comes with the kit. I zip tie a clear hose to the narrow neck on the bleeder valve to keep it from sucking air or leaking fluid. Put in about 10 or 15 in. Hg. vacuum before opening the bleeder. This will prevent almost any fluid from leaking through the threads when you open the valve. Keep the vacuum in the 10 to 15 range as it leaks down. When you're finished, tighten the bleeder, but keep the vacuum up. Cut the zip tie, and slowly pull the hose off. The small amount of fluid laying on top of the bleeder will get sucked up into the hose by the remaining vacuum. I keep a paper towell handy just in case, but I've never had to use it. Finally, spray the caliper off with some water and wipe it dry. I've always bled the brakes this way, and my calipers still look new. In fact, I've actually been accused, more than once, of having them repainted.