Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

are people laughing at me driving an Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
I got laughed at by some friends back in 07 when I picked up my first Evo because I had mostly owned BMWs (1 of them happened to be an 05 M3) up to that point. They asked me what was wrong with me. As I learned more about Evos and STis and became more interested in them, I realized that when I had the M3, I was more concerned about what people thought of me than actually having a true passion for the car. While I enjoyed the M3 and other BMWs before it, none give me the joy that the Evo and Subies I owned in the last 8 years. Being over 40 now, I could care less what people think about what I drive. My Evos are generally tastefully modded and I am not out there trying to get attention. I just love the cars.. who cares what people say or do. To each his/her own...
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
As long as you're happy, I don't see why it matters. Why do some people drive Corollas? Because they have no self respect.

I kid...

They drive Corollas because they need a reliable DD and not much else. These are the kinds of people who won't bat an eye if a GTR or LFA drove by. It's because they don't give a darn about cars and thats perfectly fine. I can respect that.

I can also respect anyone who drives an EVO, because tells me: I know what a great performing car is, and I'm not about to break the bank doing so.

Be proud of that Evo; I would love to be in your position right now.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrowka
I am older than most folks here. I could not care less what people think about this or any other car I drive.
^^ so much this
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
i've literally never taken the time to even think about any of this.

Keep drooling, I'm spooling.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrowka
I am older than most folks here. I could not care less what people think about this or any other car I drive.
This says it all for me and I'm an older guy in an evo. Who cares it your car.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sheesh, made a thread for this b.s lol who cares dude, do what you want. you only have 1 life, ef what anyone else thinks.

be you.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have more years working on cars than most Evo owners have been on the earth. Don't really pay attention to other drivers on the road. Had a guy with two teenage kids and his wife get out of he car next to me at a gas station just a week ago. Nodded and said Hi, he says-- "man, that car looks like fun". I smiled and said yeah it is-- I highly recommend it if you can find one...
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
My car gets the thumbs up from most people. Its probably the lopey idle from the cams...lol. She sounds like she means the business sitting at a light.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:33 AM

I too am one of the older owners here, just had my 51st birthday this last summer. I keep my car looking clean and shinning. I love working on her and keeping her up and improving performance all the time. For me the car is the satisfaction, just cruising around and having my wife with me.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

I couldn't agree more with thrilla... No matter what your age is it only matters about the passion you carry... My favorite example is Akira Nakai he designed the most bad *** widebody kit for Porsche ... Yes it's a Porsche but it's stanced and by stanced I don't mean major camber I mean planted all fours capable of actual functionality... most "older" men are supposedly not suppose to be in that "scene" but who cares of your age just do what makes you smile! Hope this helps continue your passion I know I'm not giving up on mine!
Old Nov 17, 2015, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

My reaction would be you're a badass for driving an Evo if you're older haha.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Society tells us that we're supposed to buy some piece of junk as our first vehicle, then graduate to a nice reliable vehicle to get you to and from your first big boy job, and somewhere along the way you treat yourself to a nice luxury vehicle to show the rest of the world that you just received a promotion, only to sell that car for a cheap, reliable daily driver to get us to and from the grocery store once we're retired.

In my opinion, that's one long way to say "boring."
Old Nov 17, 2015, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
F**k what people think
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jonno99
Ok so I was out in my family car on the weekend and drove up behind a really nice stanced Supra, when I came up next to it of course you look over to see who is driving it, half expecting some young dude with a cap on who has poured his life savings into it but, I see this old silver fox behind the wheel, the wife looks over too and says oh another old guy like you in a car ment for his son and gives out a giggle. Ok so I'm thinking others are thinking this too, I know you all on here will say you can drive whatever car you want etc, but I'm wondering is the more slammed or riced a car is does this make an old guy look silly at the wheel? Do you know what I mean? Does grey hair and ricing actually work? lol
I could see my girl doing the same thing when we are old and I'm driving my evo. It's good to know older people are driving this car though. Keeps from the respect declining as the idiot highschool kids get their hands on one due to the fact that they are slowly getting cheaper.

no matter what you have though, people are gonna laugh. Mustang guys laugh at evo guys, corvette guys laugh at mustang guys (along with the rest of the world that laughs at mustangs). Like the second post stated. Keep it clean, crisp, modded but not ricey and you will get respect. I'd give more respect to an older guy driving an evo than anything else.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by CeliOnce
My reaction would be you're a badass for driving an Evo if you're older haha.
x2

Quick Reply: are people laughing at me driving an Evo?