Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fixed my warm start up issue (E85 + ETS mini battery kit)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fixed my warm start up issue (E85 + ETS mini battery kit)

I believe I have solved my issue. I would have a hard time getting the car to start up when the engine is semi warmed (driven to the store and shut off for 15-30 minutes). Cold starts were usually 1 crank, sometimes 2-3 depending on the temperature... never had much issues with it

When semi warmed the car would just crank crank and crank. I would have to get out the jumper pack, key in and count to 7 seconds before it will actually fire in 1 crank.

2 days ago I got the P0201 CEL which is a injector malfunction in cylinder #1. The car sounded like a boxer engine with the misfire. I searched up the code and people said it was the injector resister that most likely went out. Upon more researching I found out that you need to remove the resister box to run high impedance injectors (I have fic 1100's). What do you know...... the resister is still connected to the car.....

I installed the resister delete plug from FIC today. Fired up the car on a cold start and instantly noticed it started up faster than before. Drove the car around to reach full operating temp and shut it down and let her cool off for 25 minutes. I got and crank the car without counting to 7 seconds and she fired up!

TDLR:

I have FIC 1100's injectors with the injector resister still installed and caused warm start issues. I did warm starts on my car and so far its been all successful. (No counting to 7 with key on position and headlight off or any jumper pack)

Hopefully this fixed my start up issues. Its pretty embarrassing having to jump the car every warm start.

I came from an Evo X and never had to do deal with the resister when I installed my FIC 1100's.

I am a happy camper so far! Hopefully it stays like this!

Just thought I would share this..... I am sure I am not the first one to have this happen.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump...I had this issue too, but it was a ground issue due to my battery being in the trunk of the car. However, My gf's brother has the same issue now, but he has stock battery placement. We both id 1,000's, and he still has hot start issues. You would think that mechanics should know about this resistor, but i guess not.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:35 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
you only remove the resistor if you are using high-z injectors. If you remove the resistor with low-z injectors (oem style) you will fry your ecu (just to clarify for the lazy who dont read all of your post). Also you will probably have to rescale your injectors if it was tuned with that resistor in place.