Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Thinking of trading my X for a IX need advice.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of trading my X for a IX need advice.

Like the title states would it be worth it to trade my 2011 evo X mr with 44k miles for a evo ix 54k miles? I'm going to the dealership Friday what should I look for in terms of abuse of the car? Also would it be a smart idea?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
What's the change over price?
What do you want to use the 9 for?
Why do you want to sell the x?
Are you wanting to mod?
Are you handy to work on your own car?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 04:08 AM

The one I'm currently looking at is listed at 24k with 59k miles. I do plan on modding it to around the 400 whp range. Nothing wrong with my X I love it but I'm worried that modding it is going to cost more because it's an mr. I don't know what to look out for when I go check it out on Friday any advice.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

If it's a DD, keep the X. The 9 is a bit of a bare bones car to deal with on a daily basis. The SST is superb, throw money at it and it'll put a smile on your face.
No matter which way you look at it, 400whp is such an easily obtainable goal you're not going to see *that* much of a difference between either car(s)
Old Nov 18, 2015, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by powerdriver
If it's a DD, keep the X. The 9 is a bit of a bare bones car to deal with on a daily basis. The SST is superb, throw money at it and it'll put a smile on your face.
No matter which way you look at it, 400whp is such an easily obtainable goal you're not going to see *that* much of a difference between either car(s)
Thanks for your advice I appreciate it I'll take a look at it on Friday just in case. But I love the X but that IX is so damn sexy and so damn fast
Old Nov 18, 2015, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

Another thing to keep in mind is the EVO is actually gaining value. My car went from NADA value 13.3k when I bought it in 2012 to 16.9k in 2015.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 05:56 AM

Another thing to keep in mind is the EVO is actually gaining value. My car went from NADA value 13.3k when I bought it in 2012 to 16.9k in 2015.
That's for the evo IX or evo X
Old Nov 18, 2015, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I think there is a thread, what to look out for when buying an Evo but the usual things like whining drive train, slipping clutch, diff grinding, battery acid spill, faded wing, smooth syncro's, leak down and compress test, uneven tyre wear, body repair, log books, recalls, smoke, clean rad water, brake pump, mod list, caliper color, tools and spare, clean title, belt done, rust, coil overs leaking, bearing or rod knock, warranty, wheel bearings, bolsters, stone chips, under rail damage from jack stands, steering centers, dash rattles, clear coat damage

That's a good check list

Last edited by Jonno99; Nov 18, 2015 at 06:50 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dome1218
That's for the evo IX or evo X
That's for my 05 EVO 8. I haven't looked into the X.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
not sure if you said if the X is your DD or not. if it is, i wouldnt trade. the X seems better for dd duties. keep in mind the X value is always more than the 8 or 9. so if its a straight trade, its not a smart trade.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 03:16 PM

Maybe I should trade in the mr for a gsr and mod conservatively.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Stay with the X dude. Seriously.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What he said. Had an 08 MR / 03 GSR / 05 GSR and an 05 RS which I currently own. People ask me why I don't DD it since it's AWD. Because I have an RL and I don't feel like riding a skateboard with a motor on it to work every day. Although the GSR is a little easier to deal with since it has more creature comforts. I'm 27 so I guess it's just me getting old. I love my RL for DDing. I miss my X MR a ton though cause IMO it IS the ultimate daily, specially with bolt ons and a minor tune to like 320-330 hp VD numbers really seriously wakes that car up and is still pretty safe for those lame *** rod bolts.

Reason I jumped from the MR to the 03 GSR is probably some of your reason which was putting my hands around a 5 speed raw feeling again (never owned an evo 8 till after the X MR). If you're looking for a more RAW feeling of driving then the IX is what you're looking for.

It's not a bad DD it's just the X is better. The 8s and 9s are definitely a little bit more work than a X MR though to drive. Don't get me wrong it's not a chore as mitsu did a good job of making driving the 8s and 9s fun. It's just all what you're preference is (8s/9s have no cruise control which I use almost every day going to work and back)

as far as issues it's like most cars. If stock brakes unpainted yet check for orange coloring, check axles and underneath for fluids specifically tcase/trans. Most evos that are modded don't have the splash guard in place anymore.

Last edited by luvboost; Nov 20, 2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 09:51 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
check for t-case whine, otherwise look for any problems that you would with any other used car inspection.

IMO, the X is a better DD. it's slightly improved overall. VIIIs and IXs are okay too. i know lots of people that DD them. if you like the looks of one over the other, that's subjective. if you really like the VIII/IX, you won't hate it as a DD.

i drive a Civic every day because it's quieter, turns sharper, and is better on gas LOL (i have a long commute to work). it's also A/T so i can eat and drink while driving. that being said, i'd DD the crap out of my Evo if i had to. i love that car and often invent reasons to drive it around town LOL.

the X MR would be my choice for a DD as it's still an Evo, still fun, and can be A/T.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 03:06 PM

A IX is more bare bones compared to an X. The X interior is updated and would be more comfortable for DD due to the extra amenities.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading my X for a IX need advice.