Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Please diagnose (oh noes another tcase/rear diff question)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please diagnose (oh noes another tcase/rear diff question!!)

I'm sure you guys are sick and tired of this, but have to ask what your opinions are before I shell out $1k for a fix to either part.

Ordinarily I would just say this is the rear end, but I ask because I know how common tcase issues are with this model evo.

I have a usdm evo ix mr. I get a whine while driving with the below symptoms. The whine is so loud that it drowns out my 2.5" exhaust.

We did change the tcase and rear diff fluid with OEM fluids when we did the timing/balance/serp belt and pullies/tensioners (200 miles ago) and there were no metal shavings in either, the transfer case fluid was thin and black when it came out, the rear end was normal. I'm not sure what was used in these components prior to my ownership since I just got the car with 94k on it.

-The car has an aftermarket clutch on it (not sure which one, but the pressure plate looks like an act hd) and it's hell to put in reverse and not easy to put in 6th. I have done the under hood cable bushings and will do the plastic cup and shifter bushings when they arrive.
-The fuel pump is a wally 255, this is not fuel pump whine.
-The whine increases w/RPM
-The whine is present whether in gear or not in gear, speeding up or slowing down. The higher the rpms, the higher the whine.
-The whine SEEMS like it's coming from the rear end, but I'm not sure.
-The rear wheel bearings are fine.

Any ideas? Any specific way to troubleshoot?

Last edited by itsmeek; Nov 19, 2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Put the car on jack stands. Run the car through the gears, and use a stethoscope to verify where noise is coming from. Will need two people to diag.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:57 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Im betting on the T-case. Its really easy to under fill it when doing a change. If i where you I would drain the tcase fluid and measure how much was actually in there, also look for obvious signs of failure.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,557 Likes on 1,335 Posts
That's sounds a lot like the tcase, especially because its being described as constant and increasing with speed. The description of the fluid that came out of the tcase is even more worrisome. The rear diff usually makes noise at only certain speeds, ie: 35-40mph, and 70-75mph..
Old Nov 20, 2015, 03:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about the carrier bearings for the driveshaft? I have this issue right now and will fix it when I get back from my deployment. However, before I left, I jacked my car up because I didn't want flat spots on my tires and took the opportunity run the car while in the air. Located where the "whine" was coming from and now I have ease of mind that its not the transfer case or the rear diff.
Just a thought and a possible solution to the issue you might have and would prevent you from shelling out +$1k.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you mentioned rpm, but not speed. is it apparent regardless of what gear you are in?

fwiw, when I put harder rear diff mount bushings in (the beatrush ones) I got a whine at 70mph + on the highway, ONLY when load was being applied, if i let off the gas the whine went away. Still no idea if it's the transfer case or the rear end (fluids are OEM, changed 15k or less, and fill levels have been double checked). I got it to go away by going to a softer rear bushing in :-/ IE more driveline slot. Something isn't right, because other people run the harder bushings no problem. I've run probably 20k miles like this though and don't have 1-2k to take a guess.

questions,
what speed?
what load? @ cruise? @ accel? etc
when did it start? or has it always been there?
what rear diff mount bushings?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had thebfkuids swapped at a boostin performance. Did it before and after. It sounds like the rear diff but everyone keeps sayin even if it sounds like the rear diff its prob the tcase. Usin mitsu diaqueen