Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sell or Mod?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sell or Mod?

So, I have a 2003 black evo 8 that I bought a couple of months ago. It is stock except for an aftermarket exhaust and an intake. It has always been stock and was not "returned to stock" before I bought it. Its always used factory oil and I just had an oil change about 50 miles ago. I also put new Mishimoto T-bolt clamps on all of the UICP. Its a very very clean car with about 98k miles on it. I just wanted to get some opinions from you guys to see if you think I should start modding it, or sell it as it is and move on. My concern with modding is that I won't be able to sell it for very much later on down the road especially as the milage goes up. But my concern with selling is that I love the car and don't want to miss out on all the fun modding! I also don't know what I would move on to next. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
Old Nov 22, 2015, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Ummm....Why not stop worrying about selling or modding and just drive and enjoy the car, if you do some autox and track days and when you need more power then think about investing wisely then. By the way I'm like you and was all thinking about modding but didn't want to change the stock look etc, so I deferred it and have been having alot of fun at track days running close to stock, in year I might upgrade turbo and cams maybe
Old Nov 22, 2015, 02:10 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I would just list out your priorities and see what makes sense. IMO having an evo and not modding it is kinda sad. Even mitsubishi couldn't resist and had the FQ models. If you are looking for good ROI though cars in general are pretty terrible compared to other kinds of investments.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sell it.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 06:53 PM

I would mod it. You wouldn't not have sex with your girlfriend so that she can have an easier time getting a boyfriend down the road? Besides, most people wont if your evo had some mods a few years down the road, just like guys wouldnt care if your girlfriend isnt a virgin.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
If you love it don't make a rash decision and sell it because stock clean Evo's are getting harder to find. If you hang onto it and in time decide you don't want it and you're positive, sell it. If not hang onto it and enjoy it. Ultimately it's your decision, and our opinions don't matter so it's up to you to decide.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 08:28 AM

I have tossed this around a lot also because I have a evo 8 with 13k miles on it and completely stock. I've decided I'm going to do some basic stuff and have buschur racing do my work. my plan is to get it to around 330-350 whp and call it a day. in all honesty these cars were built to be modded and if you get the work done by a reputable shop they usually always hold their value pretty well in the long run. just save all your paperwork if you go to a shop. receipts, dyno sheets, etc. people love to see paperwork.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 09:16 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
If you don't start tearing into the thing and just do some base line tasteful mods you will be very pleased with the performance gain vs stock and it will be trivial to put the car back to stock if thats what you want to do in the future.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 09:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
If you don't' love the car enough to make this decision on your own, sell it.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:38 AM

leave it alone and forever wonder, what if?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 07:44 PM

modded or not, these cars hold their value pretty well. i would mod it...
Old Dec 1, 2015, 09:17 PM

I think its always best to start a build with a fresh car so you know its all done right.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 02:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by B Roharik
I have tossed this around a lot also because I have a evo 8 with 13k miles on it and completely stock. I've decided I'm going to do some basic stuff and have buschur racing do my work. my plan is to get it to around 330-350 whp and call it a day. in all honesty these cars were built to be modded and if you get the work done by a reputable shop they usually always hold their value pretty well in the long run. just save all your paperwork if you go to a shop. receipts, dyno sheets, etc. people love to see paperwork.
Good idea. A simple tune and a turbo back really wakes the car up and for most that's all one needs. Also like you said stay away from eBay parts and go to one of the top shops like Buschur.