Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

VIII often has rough Idle and car dies often

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
VIII often has rough Idle and car dies often

So, my car has been standing for 2ish years, with one quick drive every few months. Last time i started it, it struggled to get to idle rpm's and vibrated fo 5-7 seconds before it could find the right idle. After that it seems like its doing fine. Then when i actually drive the car after i let go of gas and am inbetween changing gears, the idle also drops to 350-500rpms. Ive tested it a bit, the idle drop in-between gears is consistent, and 1 out of 5 times the car will stall.

After i come to a halt from driving again the car will try to get to the right idle rpms, and will stall out 1 out of 5 times. After it does find idle it doesnt seem to drop again, until i decide to rev it or drive it.

Btw i filled it up with 93 octane, dont know if that would affect anything.

What should i do here? Should i change sparks, clean the maf, maybe even seafoam the car?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 09:42 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Can you hook up an OBDII reader and check for any codes? Visually inspect all your hoses and do a boost leak test. Pull a spark plug and inspect it, if it looks fouled or messed up then replace them. Check your battery and alternator, make sure they are both in proper working order. 93 octane is fine. Verify all this stuff before digging any deeper.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Can you hook up an OBDII reader and check for any codes? Visually inspect all your hoses and do a boost leak test. Pull a spark plug and inspect it, if it looks fouled or messed up then replace them. Check your battery and alternator, make sure they are both in proper working order. 93 octane is fine. Verify all this stuff before digging any deeper.
Just hooked up a Bluetooth OBDII that I have, and it did throw a code: P0446, Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit. Hoses look good. Battery and Alternator are good. I have yet to check the plugs and do a boost leak test.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Check the hoses on the Evap system. There's also hoses under the intake manifold near the rear motor mount.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Well i checked all the hoses i could find, all of them look like they are seated properly. I did however find that one coupler hose clamp from the LICP to intercooler is completely missing, that's probably the cause of the car not hitting full boost. I actually do think the alternator is bad, because my windows go up super slowly and even slower when im closing two at a time. Or could that be the battery? Battery was replaced with a 640CA battery from Advanced auto half a year ago.