Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Licp and UIcp

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2015, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Licp and UIcp

Hey guys,

I got a good deal on a short route Uicp and licp. I got a 3.5 inch BR fmic too. I got my tune on 93 pump with stock 9 turbo stock intercooler piping and a stock intercooler tuned to 24 psi. I already installed the fmic and I'm not noticing much of a difference in afr. However sometimes my idle jumps after I let off the gas and put it in neutral. I'm wondering if it will be okay to install a licp and Uicp with no tune ?

Obviously it won't be ideal but I'm not going to drop another $500 for a full tune after a few bolt ons than won't get me much more power. I'd rather wait until I upgrade the turbo.

Alternatively I have evoscan and ecu flash. I know how to flash new Roms and pull my rom. Would changing the intercooler and piping be something the tune just needs a small tweak with? Something I could do myself ?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Short answer is yes if you are savvy with tuning. There are great tutorials on here and youtube and a wealth of knowledge here if you need help. Careful you don't overboost with the new piping as you will probably have better flow than you had before.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ronaldo9
Short answer is yes if you are savvy with tuning. There are great tutorials on here and youtube and a wealth of knowledge here if you need help. Careful you don't overboost with the new piping as you will probably have better flow than you had before.
I've never tuned per say but I have a tuned Rom and I feel something like piping and intercooler would just be minimal tweaking to the current tune. I am pretty savy and do most work/repairs to the car myself. I will start looking through tuts but I'd appreciate help in the right direction from anyone who has time. Thank you.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 09:37 PM

better be safe than sorry!
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
You don't need to retune for a FMIC and piping. You'll be fine. Its not like you're swapping injectors or putting on a different turbo. You put on a more efficient intercooler and some less restrictive piping. Plus the stock MAF .cal will have some leeway in it anyway to allow for more air..etc.

Last edited by Teal2nnr; Dec 13, 2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
You don't need to retune for a FMIC and piping. You'll be fine. Its not like you're swapping injectors or putting on a different turbo. You put on a more efficient intercooler and some less restrictive piping. Plus the stock MAF .cal will have some leeway in it anyway to allow for more air..etc.
That's what I figured... I think over boost is a possibility but I have wbo2 gauge and boost gauge so I'll keep an eye on it. My only concern is when the car is put in neutral while coasting to a red light now the rpms jump from 1000-1400 up and down a few times before it settles and the afr jumps from 12-18... It's weird.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheasta
That's what I figured... I think over boost is a possibility but I have wbo2 gauge and boost gauge so I'll keep an eye on it. My only concern is when the car is put in neutral while coasting to a red light now the rpms jump from 1000-1400 up and down a few times before it settles and the afr jumps from 12-18... It's weird.
Check all your couplings. If it wasn't doing this before your install, then there's a high probability that something to do with the install isn't correct.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
You'll be fine without a re-tune
Old Dec 14, 2015, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
Check all your couplings. If it wasn't doing this before your install, then there's a high probability that something to do with the install isn't correct.
Maybe I have a boost leak... I had to cut the stock piping to intercooler coupling to delete the 90 degree bend in them since the flanges on the new intercooler are directly next to the icp's so it needed to be a straight in and straight out coupler with no bend...
Old Dec 14, 2015, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
do a boost leak test whenever you make any changes to the piping, I put a LICP on mine and did it even when I thought it was all fine and found a broken little vent pipe at the back of the injectors, must have been losing HP since i bought it a year ago
Old Dec 14, 2015, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jonno99
do a boost leak test whenever you make any changes to the piping, I put a LICP on mine and did it even when I thought it was all fine and found a broken little vent pipe at the back of the injectors, must have been losing HP since i bought it a year ago

I don't have a boost leak tester or a compressor

Last edited by Sheasta; Dec 14, 2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I don't have a boost leak tester or a compressor
I made one, there are plenty of DIY threads around, it's basically a cap witha tire valve on it and you clamp it over the mouth of the turbo and pump air into it
Old Dec 15, 2015, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jonno99
I made one, there are plenty of DIY threads around, it's basically a cap witha tire valve on it and you clamp it over the mouth of the turbo and pump air into it
I would need to buy a compressor even if I made a boost leak tester.

Essentially it isn't a viable option for me to buy a compressor to do a boost leak test nor is it worth me paying a shop $100+ to do it... I bought new 4 ply silicone couplers and I know o had no boost leak prior to the fmic install because the car was very recently tuned and boost leak tested, so it can only be from one or both of the couplers that hold the icp's to the fmic and since I had to cut to modify right angle 90 degree couplers to make them fit straight in its a definite possibility.

Last edited by Sheasta; Dec 15, 2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:47 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Maybe I have a boost leak... I had to cut the stock piping to intercooler coupling to delete the 90 degree bend in them since the flanges on the new intercooler are directly next to the icp's so it needed to be a straight in and straight out coupler with no bend...
This could be an issue. Maybe not one you are having now, but without that little ridge at the end of the pipe to help hold the clamp and connector from slipping off you will have a much higher chance of blowing this pipe off under boost.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
This could be an issue. Maybe not one you are having now, but without that little ridge at the end of the pipe to help hold the clamp and connector from slipping off you will have a much higher chance of blowing this pipe off under boost.
Yes, I ordered new high quality straight 2.5" couplers for this area and t bolt clamps because I did not have those on this pipes prior. I will update after installation.

Quick Reply: Licp and UIcp