Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Road race reliability

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rom
Thanks for all the advice guys - this has been massively helpful. Just FYI I am already near those power levels with E85, cams, springs, pump, injectors, exhaust, intake, intercooler, IC pipes, etc. I just blew the HG on the stock engine though, hence my post about reliability.

I'm speaking with Tom (tscomptuned) about engines, etc, too, so will report back with what I decide..

If anyone has more tips though, please post! Oil cooling and low boost seem to be the consensus though (which I agree with). I just need to find a turbo that can spool fast out of a corner, and push the CFM under low boost needed..

I have been exclusively road tracking for over 15 years (Lotus and Porsche) - so what I'm looking for now is a bit more power. I have the Evo and want to see what I can do with it, rather than go out and buy a stock "powerful" car like a GT3 or GTR (although I've really been wanting one of those Ariel Atom V8's!). It will be more for fun than competition, but I don't mind putting in the effort to make it reliable!

Thanks!

S.
a journal bearing fp green will get you where you want to be very reliable and spools as fast as the stock turbo.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
the problem with the fp green is that now that it comes with the stainless housing its awesome fast spool has been changed. i believe even in ball bearing its spooling no earlier than 4000rpm.

honestly if you have the money, something like an EFR 7163 sounds like exactly what your after or maybe even an 8374. i believe the 7163 has no issue doing 450-500whp with damn near stock like spool. both full race and cbrd offer kits
Old Jan 3, 2016, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You could consider a 2.0lr with a ts 3582, or a ss 3582 on a .63 tial hotside. I am running a 3586 .63 on a 2.0 and I get 20psi in 3rd about 4600rpm. For road racing I can run like 16-18psi and make very modest power about 420whp. At 32-33psi make 700whp. My closest track is a huge one and is great for horse power. I find my car the most fun in the 400whp area.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rom
thanks for all the advice guys - this has been massively helpful. Just fyi i am already near those power levels with e85, cams, springs, pump, injectors, exhaust, intake, intercooler, ic pipes, etc. I just blew the hg on the stock engine though, hence my post about reliability.

I'm speaking with tom (tscomptuned) about engines, etc, too, so will report back with what i decide..

If anyone has more tips though, please post! Oil cooling and low boost seem to be the consensus though (which i agree with). i just need to find a turbo that can spool fast out of a corner, and push the cfm under low boost needed..

i have been exclusively road tracking for over 15 years (lotus and porsche) - so what i'm looking for now is a bit more power. I have the evo and want to see what i can do with it, rather than go out and buy a stock "powerful" car like a gt3 or gtr (although i've really been wanting one of those ariel atom v8's!). It will be more for fun than competition, but i don't mind putting in the effort to make it reliable!

Thanks!

S.
efr 8374
Old Jan 4, 2016, 01:25 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Call up or message JohnBradley (Aaron) at English racing to talk about track turbos and back pressure. The guy has seen it all.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Where do you live? Developing a working relationship with a local shop that you trust to work on your Evo is the key. That way, when something breaks or simply "doesn't sound right" you have a go to guy that knows your car, engine, tune, and driving needs.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Call up or message JohnBradley (Aaron) at English racing to talk about track turbos and back pressure. The guy has seen it all.
So much this. Aaron is a gold mine of knowledge and information.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 06:34 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBoz
You could consider a 2.0lr with a ts 3582, or a ss 3582 on a .63 tial hotside. I am running a 3586 .63 on a 2.0 and I get 20psi in 3rd about 4600rpm. For road racing I can run like 16-18psi and make very modest power about 420whp. At 32-33psi make 700whp. My closest track is a huge one and is great for horse power. I find my car the most fun in the 400whp area.
I would personally never run a .63 housing on those turbos- but thats my opinion-

we tested the .63, .8X, and 1.0X on our time attack car-

the .63 lost 30whp to the .8x and spooled the same, the 1.0 lost 100rpm of spool to the .8X and picked up 30 more whp-

Just food for thought- I hoped for great things with the decrease in A/R as far as response and so forth- and it simply choked it- this was on a billet 35R

cb
Old Jan 12, 2016, 06:34 AM
Account Disabled

if you stay stock housing make sure its ball bearing for long duration road race events

cb
Old Jan 12, 2016, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Would oil starvation be an issue just from autocrossing? If so would adding some extra oil to get levels a little above the dip stick max mark be a good option to help a little? Also by doing that would it cause any stress issues from daily driving with a little extra oil? This is all on an evo with around 340whp(just bolt ons) on 10W-30 zrod oil.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:47 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
On stock-ish engines is much less likely to start but Ive always ran an extra 1/2qt. Once you get to race tires and built motors w/out balance shafts some work needs to be done to reduce oil pressure and reduce wasted oil sent to head (kiggly hla).

I think RJones and Grice (a little less sure on the latter) have both lost motors due to oil pressure.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Killerpenguin hit it with the engine. 2.1L LR will be the most reliable built engine for those power levels. That will be my plan this coming season. Biggest thing for reliability on track is using good fluids and keeping temps in check. Larger capacity radiator with a high cfm fan. Fan on the oil cooler.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 04:11 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

Right now I'm set on the following specs...

- 2.3L stroker
- Billet crank
- Forged rods/pistons

For oil, I'm looking at baffled pan vs dry sump. I want to keep A/C, so will have to go with an electric A/C compressor for the latter (since the dry sump pump sits in the A/C compressor position, typically). Dry sump pretty much doubles the cost for the build, but does provide the ultimate in oil reliability..

I'm getting the bottom end built by Tom @ tscomptuned - he originally tuned my engine, and people seem to love his engine builds

I'm throwing out the RC injectors for FIC's, and for turbo I'm not completely decided yet, but want fast spool and capable of flowing enough air for 500-600whp at a fairly low boost level.

Thanks!

S.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 04:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
For that power level at low boost (assuming around or less than 25psi), you're going to need something in the range of a Xona rotor 78-64 or 71-64.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
check out the racefab wet sump pan, theres a thread around here somewhere about it.

i dont like the decision to go 2.3L personally. it looks like your willing to spend the money to use good parts...i still think a 2.1 LR and EFR8374 would be an amazing and reliable setup, although it cost a little more due to the few extra bits needed to run the 4g64 block. hell, with an efr even a 2.0 LR would probably be fine. side loading and rod/stroke ratio are something worth thinking about if you really have reliability in mind imho.

Last edited by killerpenguin21; Jan 12, 2016 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Road race reliability