Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

-HELP- 93 Octane vs 91

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kalen2
Not entirely necessary. Been running strictly E85 for 3 years now with no issues.
Depends. I had gunk build up on the injectors for every single one of my cars that I used E85 on. It's better to check the injectors once in away as a preventative maintenance. If you see gunk, switch to pump gas.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PolloVagabundo
Apologize and I am not trying to thread jack but I had a side question that's been bugging me.

Right now I have a 93 tune saved on my accessport. I will be going on a road trip to Kansas later this year and I don't think they will have 93 octane available. I'm hoping to go E85 later this year so a 91 tune is out of the question for my wallet at this time.

If I fill up with a tank of 91 when I get to KS, will driving around out of boost for a week while i'm in KS be OK for my car? or would most people say don't do this.
If you stay out of boost, I highly doubt you will run into knock. You should be fine. I would use DAM on your AP to monitor for knock if you get worried.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 09:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Definitely worth getting an E85 tune. If you are in SoCal I'd highly recommend RoadRace Engineering. I've been going there for 6 years and have been on E85 for the last 3. Runs perfectly, tons of power and smells of sweet carnival corn ;-)

I run a tank of 91 through every 3 months as recommended by RRE. Just as solid as day one.

Enjoy and be safe!
Erik