Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Socal is flooded... and my car got some water... what do i do?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Socal is flooded... and my car got some water... what do i do?

So where I live in SoCal is getting severe rain storms right now, and I went through a street that other cars were going though at about 15 in maybe 3-5 inches of water and all of sudden my car started bogging out very severely and died out in the middle of the road i made it into the middle median but i was unable to move the car.

I attempted to restart the car and move but it was bogging too hard (rookie mistake but cars were everywhere and I was a road hazard). after a few attempts i left it at idle, (which is does idle although a little rough) and shortly after killed the engine and called AAA.

The car is now in the garage, i removed the intake and the maf was wet but now I am just wondering what my next course of action should be .

(I did remove the UICP and the throttle body is dry)

Thanks for any suggestions guys.

EDIT: AEM short ram, 2005 evo 8 stock turbo.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 08:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
I feel your pain, it's very easy to hydrolock a motor in these conditions. It really has been crazy here in SD lately, especially in Convoy area where damn cars are floating around haha.

Here is what I would do to prevent any further damage:

Now that you are at home, drain the motor oil, remove oil filter and remove all four of your spark plugs. Disconnect the crank angle sensor located at the back left of the engine bay.

Remove your entire intake track. That is, your intake, maf, intake tube, all intercooler piping and intercooler.

Make sure that all these parts, particularly your intercooler, are free from any water. If you don't find a puddle of water here then you're in good shape.

Poor in fresh motor oil, install the new oil filter and reassemble all your intercooler piping, but DON'T install the spark plugs or connect the crank angle sensor yet.

Now turn your key, holding for 5 seconds at a time, do this 4 to 7 times depending on if you see any water vapor shooting out of your spark plug holes.

After you stop seeing vapor (if any) emerge from the spark plug holes, reinstall your spark plugs.

Now reconnect your Crank angle sensor and start your car. Let it idle for 5 to 10 minutes before you rev it out a bit to clear its throat.

This process evacuates any water left in your intake manifold or cylinders. Just hope that none of your rods got bent on the road.

Good luck Chaser.

-Pal215

Last edited by Pal215; Jan 6, 2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
I feel your pain, it's very easy to hydrolock a motor in these conditions. It really has been crazy here in SD lately, especially in Convoy area where damn cars are floating around haha.

Here is what I would do to prevent any further damage:

Now that you are at home, drain the motor oil, remove oil filter and remove all four of your spark plugs. Disconnect the crank angle sensor located at the back left of the engine bay.

Remove your entire intake track. That is, your intake, maf, intake tube, all intercooler piping and intercooler.

Make sure that all these parts, particularly your intercooler, are free from any water. If you don't find a puddle of water here then you're in good shape.

Poor in fresh motor oil, install the new oil filter and reassemble all your intercooler piping, but DON'T install the spark plugs or connect the crank angle sensor yet.

Now turn your key, holding for 5 seconds at a time, do this 4 to 7 times depending on if you see any water vapor shooting out of your spark plug holes.

After you stop seeing vapor (if any) emerge from the spark plug holes, reinstall your spark plugs.

Now reconnect your Crank angle sensor and start your car. Let it idle for 5 to 10 minutes before you rev it out a bit to clear its throat.

This process evacuates any water left in your intake manifold or cylinders. Just hope that none of your rods got bent on the road.

Good luck Chaser.

-Pal215
Wow, this incredibly detailed and helpful. Thank you, Tomorrow I'll try and get this going right away. I actually have oil and OEM oil filters here at the house so thats a bonus.

Thank you very much.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
He left his car idling, no need to purge water out of the cylinder.

Pull the intercooler off. Good bet there is a gallon of water in it and you got lucky. If that is what you find, drain the water, do an oil change and boost on...
Old Jan 7, 2016, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
make sure your filter is dry also if it's a paper one, and clean it if it's a foam one
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:00 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
yah luckily our intake system is a labyrinth of places for water to get trapped, because if water gets inside of the cylinders while it is running it will hydraulic, which is either blowing the head away from the block or bending a rod. The turbo on the other hand, not so sure what happens when water gets in that.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
make sure your filter is dry also if it's a paper one, and clean it if it's a foam one
It is just a standard AEM dry filter i believe. I blew it out with compressed air and I left it out overnight, thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
yah luckily our intake system is a labyrinth of places for water to get trapped, because if water gets inside of the cylinders while it is running it will hydraulic, which is either blowing the head away from the block or bending a rod. The turbo on the other hand, not so sure what happens when water gets in that.
Yeah i'm very grateful for that labyrinth right now!

The car was idling fine yesterday before i started to disassemble (besides a little rough idle, i suspect the MAF was causing this). So, i'm pretty confident the engine didn't lock. We will see tho! Working on her today.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 06:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Let us know what you find.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Let us know what you find.
I removed the intercooler the licp and the bottom part of the upper and there was quite a good amount of water in those areas combined. The inter cooler drained for what seemed minutes it was very hard to get all of it out by manuervering it around in the air for a while. Had to stop due to daylight , but tomorrow I'll be reassembling .
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The solution is to quit driving "a street that other cars were going though". It isn't that the Evo is particularly susceptible, a friend of mine had to replace the engine in his pickup after doing the same thing.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 04:39 AM
Evolving Member

Well, the car is running fine guys. Thanks to everyone who helped with advice.
Here's some pics.

Old Jan 9, 2016, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Good to hear you're back up and running!

But, hopefully this is a great lesson learned. Never boat your evo through a flooded street.
Around what parts of SD are you? I'd lived in Encinitas for a bit. Loved the beaches and cool weather, but not sure what to say about all that rain you're seeing now.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
Good to hear you're back up and running!

But, hopefully this is a great lesson learned. Never boat your evo through a flooded street.
Around what parts of SD are you? I'd lived in Encinitas for a bit. Loved the beaches and cool weather, but not sure what to say about all that rain you're seeing now.
It has definitely been a lesson.

I reside in east county so about 20-30 minute south from Encinitas . This weather is quite peculiar. It was fun before my engine bogged out.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad everything turned out okay. Is the lesson to never drive through water if it's high enough to touch the intercooler? I'm just curious as to how quick something like this could happen.

Quick Reply: Socal is flooded... and my car got some water... what do i do?