Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

FP .020" PURPLE oil filter/restrictor

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2016, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP .020" PURPLE oil filter/restrictor

So is this the leaky oil fix for the BB turbos?
I just noticed this added to there site!
Old Jan 16, 2016, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Where is this on their site?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 09:50 PM

Under oil lines then click filters then click the drop down tab to choose orfice size.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting. Have you emailed them about it already? Maybe one of the FP guys can chime in...
Old Jan 17, 2016, 07:50 AM

Yes i have, waiting on a reply. Just thought i would also throw it out here for others to see.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you takkig about the restrictor/filter thats in netween the oil filter housing and feeds on the turbo via a braided line? if so, this is FP's way of saving their Journal bearing turbos(and BB but mostly JBi think) This line replaces the turbo head feed line and uses the oil filter housing instead, head only supplies 15psi of pressure, oil filter= a constant 45psi, G force and side to side swashing of the oil does not help the pitty 15psi thats being fed from the head, so the turbo does not get sufficient lubrication, meanwhile, there is alot more available oil in the filter housing, and at three times the pressure. and they have 2 different size filters, one for ball bearing(which i believe is a larger orfice) and one for journal bearing. hope this answered your question man
Old Jan 17, 2016, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can feed the ball bearing FP turbos from the head...

http://www.forcedperformance.net/mer...Lancer-TurboHW

Also the "leaky oil fix" is to decrease crankcase pressure.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...re-issues.html
Old Jan 17, 2016, 03:04 PM

I realized all the above and done all the above. FP use to only offer 2 size filters/restrictors now they have a third size which is smaller then the original 2 sizes.
So im kinda wondering if they figured that if they use the new smallest size orfice filter/restrictor it helped with the BB oil issues some people are getting.
By restricting the feed some more!
What other turbochargers would they be using this .020" restrictor for?
Im hoping that maybe they figured something out here so i can pull my BB black out of the closet.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by roni4g63
Are you takkig about the restrictor/filter thats in netween the oil filter housing and feeds on the turbo via a braided line? if so, this is FP's way of saving their Journal bearing turbos(and BB but mostly JBi think) This line replaces the turbo head feed line and uses the oil filter housing instead, head only supplies 15psi of pressure, oil filter= a constant 45psi, G force and side to side swashing of the oil does not help the pitty 15psi thats being fed from the head, so the turbo does not get sufficient lubrication, meanwhile, there is alot more available oil in the filter housing, and at three times the pressure. and they have 2 different size filters, one for ball bearing(which i believe is a larger orfice) and one for journal bearing. hope this answered your question man
Both BB and JB require different restrictions. I run my BB black off the head with the black restrictor.

Originally Posted by Tekniq
You can feed the ball bearing FP turbos from the head...

http://www.forcedperformance.net/mer...Lancer-TurboHW

Also the "leaky oil fix" is to decrease crankcase pressure.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...re-issues.html
Yeah decreasing crankcase pressure works most of the time but not all of the time with the FP BB turbos.

Originally Posted by evolusean
I realized all the above and done all the above. FP use to only offer 2 size filters/restrictors now they have a third size which is smaller then the original 2 sizes.
So im kinda wondering if they figured that if they use the new smallest size orfice filter/restrictor it helped with the BB oil issues some people are getting.
By restricting the feed some more!
What other turbochargers would they be using this .020" restrictor for?
Im hoping that maybe they figured something out here so i can pull my BB black out of the closet.
Yeah I am wondering the same and if they have any testing to support it if this is actually the case.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 07:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
I'm pretty sure the .020 restrictor is for feeding the BB turbos from the OFH since there is an abundance of oil there. I know the .030 restrictor is for the line from the head for BB turbos because that's what I have. It's likely bigger due to the head having less oil flow/pressure.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Jan 18, 2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:34 PM

.030" is for both oil filter housing and feed from head for bb turbos.
Still waiting for fp reply to email. When i hear something back i will be sure to post up. Thanks to everyone so far for your input!
Old Jan 18, 2016, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I'm pretty sure the .020 restrictor is for feeding the BB turbos from the OFH since there is an abundance of oil there. I know the .030 restrictor is for the line from the head for BB turbos because that's what I have. It's likely bigger due to the head having less oil flow/pressure.
Yeah I guess that's a possibility as well. Guess we'll see if FP responds and what they have to say.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 08:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Did they get back to you on this?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 07:29 AM

Nope no reply from FP letsgetthisdone. Most likely for what you described tho, for people feeding from ofh before the feed from head line came out. Idk....
Old Jan 22, 2016, 07:44 AM
EvoM Guru

I usually have better luck with calling them than email. I might give them a ring next week, see if I can talk to Robert.

Quick Reply: FP .020" PURPLE oil filter/restrictor