Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 not starting after cams

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2016, 04:14 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
I use Boosted Tuning. it's all via email. super easy, though e-tuning requires a widband/serial adapter, tactrix cable, EcuFlash, and EvoScan.
or
you can do a Cobb Access Port which costs more but is far more simple. it's not as detailed or full of options as EcuFlash, but it will get your car running right.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 05:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 372 Likes on 247 Posts
Just trying to help you from the other side of the world..
I'd get a tuner to help you get it running and watch the "how to tune an evo" series as well as reading up. Plenty of material out there
Swap back to gas since its easier to fire off. You don't want to load the engine up with ethanol and let it sit. You may also want to smell/check the oil incase its gotten contaminated while cranking it so much. Change it if need be.
Leakdown test incase something is off in the valvetrain/timing and air is leaking out both sides of the engine. The lifters should have some clearance to function properly.
Hope that helps.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by roni4g63
why don't you go with a reputable e-tuner like Tscomp? People swear by his work, and all you need to do is get a basetune from him and log your car, then he will send you a tune. I believe
Do this. Its your best option and honestly its a great one.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 08:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You are not getting enough fuel. Try what french said. that will stop it dead.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 02:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by roni4g63
why don't you go with a reputable e-tuner like Tscomp? People swear by his work, and all you need to do is get a basetune from him and log your car, then he will send you a tune. I believe
+1 on reccomending Tscompusa that dude knows his ****
Old Jan 29, 2016, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: My new MAF sensor arrived today and I fitted it this afternoon, the car will start and idle like crap, shakes etc and as soon as you even look at the throttle, it dies. I do have a wideband fitted to the car and it is running super super lean.

What is interesting though is if I can keep it running and then remove the MAF sensor plug, the car runs so much better and the AFRs come back down much closer to what I would expect to see.

I thought maybe because I have gone from a 2.5" intake to a 4" that it could be flowing too much for the sensor so I cut some cardboard and had a friend use it to block the MAF to restrict flow and it actually helped the car run better.

I am now thinking that I am flowing too much air for the MAF, is this something that happens?

The car is also showing P0110, P0105 & P0110 codes which all relate to the MAF

I think out of necessity I will get in touch with Tcomp or Boosted Tuning

The expense isn't a huge issue but what is going to give a better result, Evoscan or access port?

EDIT: I see COBB only do the Evo 10, cancel that question

Last edited by brad2812; Jan 29, 2016 at 02:00 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:06 PM
kaj

the MAF only flows as much air as goes through. cardboard won't do anything.

was the car tuned before to where the MAF scalings were changed? we can only say it so many times: HAVE A TUNER LOOK AT YOUR CAR. if the tune is off, no amount of swapping parts will help short of putting it back to stock and using a new ECU.

if the tune is off, you are wasting your time chasing the problem.

COBB is a self-contained plug-and-play setup. your car can be tuned on that and it's a viable option for the average consumer.

some of us prefer advanced features and a bit more control so we go with Open Source stuff. i'm pretty sure a Tactrix cable and EvoScan subscription are cheaper than the COBB Access Port.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:43 PM

The car has not been tuned so it shouldn't be anything like that in terms of the tune being off, totally stock maps as far as I know.

Like I was saying above, the second the MAF is connected, it leans right out and dies, unplug the MAF and it works.

If the MAF is connected and I heavily reduce the flow to the MAF by blocking it off then it will run so I am out of ideas other than there is too much airflow for the MAF.

I did get some OBD readings while it was "running" and the vacuum/boost pressure was all over the place
Old Jan 30, 2016, 05:38 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by brad2812
The car has not been tuned so it shouldn't be anything like that in terms of the tune being off, totally stock maps as far as I know.

Like I was saying above, the second the MAF is connected, it leans right out and dies, unplug the MAF and it works.

If the MAF is connected and I heavily reduce the flow to the MAF by blocking it off then it will run so I am out of ideas other than there is too much airflow for the MAF.

I did get some OBD readings while it was "running" and the vacuum/boost pressure was all over the place
Gotta figure out if vacuum is erratic because idle is bad or the other way around.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 07:30 PM

I did find a couple of hoses that were loose and fixed them all up but that hasn't made a difference. I thought maybe the pressure sensor was faulty but the car then runs ok without the MAF sensor plugged in, that's what I can't get past.

I might have to take a video, but I've been able to start it with the MAF, unplug it and then keep the revs up and everything reads fine, AFR, pressure etc and then even if I keep the revs up it will die as soon as the MAF is plugged in, the wideband reads 22.4, the vacuum jumps around and then it dies slowly and it throws errors P0100, P0105, P0110 so I can't help but think the MAF is somehow the key here
Old Jan 31, 2016, 07:59 AM

Make sure all of your connectors are hooked up too like cool and tps, etc.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 08:01 AM

Coolant
Old Jan 31, 2016, 01:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,347 Posts
For f!cks sake a stock tune WILL not run well with cams. Go get the damn thing tuned.

The Eason it rich end up when you unplug the MAF is because the ECU goes into a sort of "limp mode" and runs the car off of a known SAFE (rich) fueling strategy. Stop dicking around with parts swapping and get the car tuned. Or put the stock cams back in it.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 04:25 PM

All the mods you have done (except fuel pump) need a major tune done. This should be a given.

Question I must raise is how do you live so far away form a tuner but have access to E85????
Old Jan 31, 2016, 04:42 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Heavy1976
Question I must raise is how do you live so far away form a tuner but have access to E85????

Quick Reply: Evo 8 not starting after cams