Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 not starting after cams

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heavy1976
Question I must raise is how do you live so far away form a tuner but have access to E85????
That is easy, because 'straya

Nah I live in a regional area and there happen to be a couple of farms only a couple of hours away that grow specifically for E85 processing so we have an abundance of it here anyway.

So I can get plenty of fresh produce but can't get my car tuned lol

Will contact one of the guys on here regarding tuning though rather than trying to get it to the city.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
did you ever figure it out? Yeah cams will lean heck out of the car since intake valve is opening up earlier and not enough fuel is in the cylinder when the injectors open. I can't help but think the car has been tuned before on SD? I mean thats so weird if you unplug it it needs to die lol. But the guys might be right about the limp home mode thing. anyway. let us know bro. gl
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by roni4g63
did you ever figure it out? Yeah cams will lean heck out of the car since intake valve is opening up earlier and not enough fuel is in the cylinder when the injectors open. I can't help but think the car has been tuned before on SD? I mean thats so weird if you unplug it it needs to die lol. But the guys might be right about the limp home mode thing. anyway. let us know bro. gl
So my tuning cables came so I could log it with EvoScan and what I'm noticing is when cranking I'm only getting 1% IDC, I do have the stock ones in but 1000cc ready to go. Any suggestions about why this might be? I went through and advanced the timing down low a touch to help it but fuel is my issue apparently
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:36 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Forget about the other injectors until you figure out your problem. One thing at a time.

You need a tune.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

agreed

Originally Posted by kaj
Forget about the other injectors until you figure out your problem. One thing at a time.

You need a tune.
but It could be the scaling thats off? I'm sure there is a thread for the injectors on the market with their scalings and lathencies.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 09:49 AM
kaj

could be. getting the car tuned will fix that. i only push the tune because it sounds like OP isn't 100% sure what he's doing.
unless he's in no hurry, in which case learning is a blast.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
could be. getting the car tuned will fix that. i only push the tune because it sounds like OP isn't 100% sure what he's doing.
unless he's in no hurry, in which case learning is a blast.
Luckily for me I have two other cars that actually work lol
This has now become a fun little learning exercise, I threw the other injectors in and scaled them as per some info I found on an injector mega thread here.

I have also started to play around with the one-off IPW before it cranks and the IPW while it cranks and I am now on the right track I think as it nearly started last night before I ran out of time. I am going to play around with it a bit more after work today and see if I can't get the right settings sorted but I am confident it is a fuel thing now.

Realistically I am going to have to let someone with a better mind than mine tune it eventually but I would be pretty stoked if I could dial it in enough to get it running and driving at least.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 03:17 PM
kaj

you can always start off with a base map from a tuner and go from there at least you would be able to drive the car a bit to set your mind at ease. if it didn't run after that, then you would know you have a problem with the car itself.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
you can always start off with a base map from a tuner and go from there at least you would be able to drive the car a bit to set your mind at ease. if it didn't run after that, then you would know you have a problem with the car itself.
Yes Kaj I 100% agree with you, but I'm glad he started playing with it (thats what she said), learning IS fun, There are tons of good info on the forums here such as "how to tune and evo" and "Merlins tuning and evo how to". goodluck man
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by roni4g63
Yes Kaj I 100% agree with you, but I'm glad he started playing with it (thats what she said), learning IS fun, There are tons of good info on the forums here such as "how to tune and evo" and "Merlins tuning and evo how to". goodluck man
Thanks for the encouragement guys I've been following Merlins guide and changed over to Tephra rom, I also changed a few idle control and IPW settings to suit my setup and I've managed to get it to fire, it proceeds to die instantly though but baby steps huh, I logged a few things and got a stupidly high knock count at around 500rpm, I can't help but think it's firing, knocking and retarding the timing then proceeding to die.

I've also noticed my ABS light is flashing now after the ROM change but I'll worry about that later. Now that I've played around with it a bit and am starting to get comfortable I might check out "How to tune" threads and see what I turn up.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brad2812
Thanks for the encouragement guys I've been following Merlins guide and changed over to Tephra rom, I also changed a few idle control and IPW settings to suit my setup and I've managed to get it to fire, it proceeds to die instantly though but baby steps huh, I logged a few things and got a stupidly high knock count at around 500rpm, I can't help but think it's firing, knocking and retarding the timing then proceeding to die.

I've also noticed my ABS light is flashing now after the ROM change but I'll worry about that later. Now that I've played around with it a bit and am starting to get comfortable I might check out "How to tune" threads and see what I turn up.
I would just get tscompusa or some other tuner to tune it for you.....
Old Feb 16, 2016, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by grim~
I would just get tscompusa or some other tuner to tune it for you.....
Yeah that's where I'm at right now, it has been fun learning how to play around with it etc but the weather is starting to change and really the best time of year to be driving where I am so I don't think I wanna spend another 2 months playing around with it
Old Feb 16, 2016, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brad2812
Yeah that's where I'm at right now, it has been fun learning how to play around with it etc but the weather is starting to change and really the best time of year to be driving where I am so I don't think I wanna spend another 2 months playing around with it
i did exactly what you did and i did learn a lot and was fun getting my car to run somewhat decent but i did not trust myself to really tune it so i just got tscomp to make it safe for me. Been running good for years now.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 08:34 PM
kaj

IMO, tscomp is a good option if you don't mind the cost and wait. He also has exclusivity on a couple things (i.e. flex fuel), but there are cheaper options, without the wait.
The shop in my sig has done my last three cars. No complaints here.
👍
Old Feb 27, 2016, 06:45 PM

Update: So Jay from Boosted Tuning ended up setting me up with a run-in tune for my clutch and we spent hours trying to get it going, he says it should have started with my stock maps because they were pretty rich. It turned out I wasn't getting enough pressure at the rail, this was caused by the the fuel pump not making a good enough seal in the pump housing, apparently this can happen when modding the 450lph pump and housing to fit, switched it back to the 255 and boom, fired right up. So yeah, fuel pressure leak in the end. It now runs and drives, Jay believes there might be another air leak somewhere so I'm going to check that out this week but my major drama is solved.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 not starting after cams