Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 not starting after cams

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Evo 8 not starting after cams

Hi all, after hours and hours of google and forum searching I have not found a solution to my issue and desperately NEED help.

I recently pulled my motor out to do some work and now it won't start at all, the work I did was:

Kelford 268 Cams w/retainers & valve springs
AEM fuel rail
AEM adjustable cam gears
Head gasket (maybe not worth mentioning)
New clutch and flywheel
While I was at it I also did a full timing gear replacement with pulleys etc
Garrett GTX3076R upgrade
Walbro 455lph fuel pump

I put everything back in the car and now it will not start, I turn the key and it just cranks and cranks but doesn't go.

Here is what I have tried:

Checked cam sensor, the little piece inside was 180 degrees out, fixed it but no different
Checked for fuel at the rail, no issue
Checked for spark, no issue
Checked timing about 20 times, everything lines up
Checked obvious sensors like crank and cam, all seems fine
Checked coolant temp sensors and they seem fine

On the car's first crank it gives off like a little puff and then nothing, will just sit cranking all day.

I am running stock ECU with no mods to it
I do have 1000cc injectors sitting ready to go but not in the car
I am running E85 for the sake of full disclosure

I did come across a thread with a guy having the EXACT same issue but no resolution posted, really hoping someone can help me out
Old Jan 22, 2016, 02:43 PM

I have found a bit of stuff about guys having other issues after changing cams (poor idle, not idling without throttle etc) and they've all gotten around it by retarding the timing on both cams to increase vacuum, they all at least got their cars to fire though so maybe a different issue? can someone maybe shed some light on the whole situation for me before I start playing with timing for the hell of it?

I was also thinking, because E85 requires appox 30% more fuel by volume that the injectors cannot cope with the increased demands of both the fuel type and cams, thoughts?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 03:55 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
by "stock ecu" are you saying the car isn't tuned?

if so, it won't run on e85. sorry if i'm being capt. obvious here LOL.

if it's tuned, then did they disable or transfer over the hex code for the immobilizer?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
And I assume you on stock injectors right?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 07:12 PM

So I may of made a slight error in judgement, yeah ECU isn't tuned, I started to think maybe the injectors were seized from being out of the car for so long so I swapped them out for the 1000cc injectors and it got a bit more eager but no good, I then drained the E85 and put in 98 and it started but did not love the bigger injectors so I am going to swap the stock ones back in after lunch and see how it goes.

I am thinking kaj was right, the E85 was the issue, looking back I am not sure why I decided to run it, I probably read somewhere it would be fine, nobody ever gets it wrong on the internet lol anyway I will let you guys know how I go when I swap the injectors back
Old Jan 22, 2016, 07:43 PM
kaj

Yeah, a pump tune on 85 will starve the car for fuel. And larger injectors on pump will flood it. You can't run either without a tune.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 08:35 PM

I switched the injectors back and changed the fuel, it still didn't want to know anything about starting so I hit it with a bit of aerostart and it fired and I managed to juggle the throttle to keep it alive, just. While someone was in the car tapping the pedal I removed the MAF sensor and it started to run great? When I changed my turbo I opted for a 4" intake and then reduce it down to 3" at the MAF, could this be causing a different issue all together?

Or do I need to leave my battery off for a while to reset the ECU fuel trims now I have been playing around with injectors and fuel types all morning?

Last edited by brad2812; Jan 22, 2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:39 PM
kaj

I'd reset trims first. Such a drastic change in intake shape could affect idle, but not that bad. Maybe that + the trims?
Whoever is advising you on mods for your car should be fired, though LOL
Old Jan 23, 2016, 12:54 AM

So here is where it is at now, it will not start with or without the MAF sensor in, I can spray some aerostart in the intake and it will fire up and with the MAF in it hardly runs, I have to keep tapping the throttle to get it to do anything and at best I can get it to 2k rpm but it stutters

If I getting it running with aerostart and get someone to pull the MAF sensor plug on then it will rev from 1500-4500 without issue and it is smooth, AFR seems to be a little on the rich side which is to be expected but goes great(I am guessing it goes into limp mode at this point).

I seem to have gotten on top of most of the issues, now I cannot figure out why it will not start unassisted.

I did read that with a bad/missing MAF will cause it not to start, is this correct?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 03:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You have saved a few bucks DIY, now I would get it to a tuner and take your 1000cc injectors and get it tuned with the injectors in, I'd go with e85
Old Jan 24, 2016, 04:55 AM

Recheck your pump installation. I had a similar problem with the one off the orings not seated correctly. So I would get fuel and the occasional puff off smoke but it wouldn't start.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the replies, I have managed to get it started if I unplug the MAF sensor and use aerostart during the initial crank, I can assume assume that the MAF may have been kicked or dropped while out of the car, I have another in the post. I have also left the battery off to reset my fuel trims in the ECU while I wait.

Hopefully that is all it is, I will post when it shows up (tomorrow I hope)
Old Jan 26, 2016, 02:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,565 Likes on 1,342 Posts
MAF could be the issue, but the car still desperately needs a tunes if the new MAF at least lets it start.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
MAF could be the issue, but the car still desperately needs a tunes if the new MAF at least lets it start.
Getting a tune is not that easy for me, I am at least 5hrs from the closest major city that would be able/willing to tune an Evo and if I want to use the guy I have used in the past for other cars, well that is 8 hours lol but I agree it will need a tune ASAP, I just need to get the car from the shed it is in back to my place, which is why I need it to start
Old Jan 26, 2016, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
why don't you go with a reputable e-tuner like Tscomp? People swear by his work, and all you need to do is get a basetune from him and log your car, then he will send you a tune. I believe

Quick Reply: Evo 8 not starting after cams