Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help with Evo intake sound different like a loose clamp maybe?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with Evo intake sound different like a loose clamp maybe?

2 days ago my Evo started making a new sound. I first noticed sound at 3000 RPM. The performance of the car still feels the same.

It sounded intake related as it would only make the sound when the turbo was spooling up. I sound say it sounds like a aftermarket intake, but i don't know what most sound like.

I have K&N Drop in filter its almost 2 years old, I washed the filter even though I was not that dirty and its still making the same sound.

I took it to the dealership to get the oil changed they looked at it and said everything looked fine, said that it might be a loose clamp but to do a more detailed look it was going to cost $120, and I don't have any money to spend.

Tomorrow I am going to check every clamp I can check around the intake since then the car will be cold. Anyone know what else this could be?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Are you on MAF or speed density? Should start with a boost leak test
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:08 AM

Not sure what either of those are, my car is 100% stock expect the K&N Drop in filter. Have Greddy turbo timer + greddy profec b (no providing any boost its just for digital PSI)

It does maybe sound like a boost leak because it does get little louder as you go up in RPM go up and I am building more boost.

I am looking at this https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...er-5-02-a.html look like a really cheap tester to make myself, the dude says " And get some air in there, using an air compressor or a compressed air can" I don't have any of those expect the air can for cleaning computer parts.

Last edited by lmleet06; Feb 12, 2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A usable air compressor is about $200 around here.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You're in SOCAL? There are like 10 shops you can take it too, haha. MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor and usually a boost leak on this the car will run like crap. A evo tuned on speed density removes the MAF and a small leak won't seem to affect it, even though you'd probably not be hitting the proper boost when going WOT. But I would take it to a shop, I think even FireStone has a smoke tester
Old Feb 12, 2016, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you need some one with experience. Google road race engineering. The arent too far from lb. Call them and schedule an appt for a boost leak test. They know what they are doing and you will be in good hands for a good price.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:46 PM

Thanks guys for the reply, but I am looking for the lowest cost options here, I am willing to take it to a local tuner shop but that doesn't sound free.

Been watching videos on the net on how to test it, I can do a soap spray test while the car is running on possible places were leaks are, or I can hook up an air compressor, I don't have one, or know anyone with one.

I think this is a boost leak, but I am looking at my boost gauges, the built in ones and the greddy ones and they are saying I am boosting the normal amount or close to it, not going to lie I do feel slower or laggyer throttle response when boosting though.

I live in Fullerton now BTW, I am just trying to address the urgency of this issue? Should I avoid using my car?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by lmleet06
Thanks guys for the reply, but I am looking for the lowest cost options here, I am willing to take it to a local tuner shop but that doesn't sound free.

Been watching videos on the net on how to test it, I can do a soap spray test while the car is running on possible places were leaks are, or I can hook up an air compressor, I don't have one, or know anyone with one.

I think this is a boost leak, but I am looking at my boost gauges, the built in ones and the greddy ones and they are saying I am boosting the normal amount or close to it, not going to lie I do feel slower or laggyer throttle response when boosting though.

I live in Fullerton now BTW, I am just trying to address the urgency of this issue? Should I avoid using my car?
I live about 30 minutes from long beach, i also have a compressor and a boost leak tester, I could help you out with your car, and If i am able to fix it for you, you can pay me whatever you like. shoot me a text @818-406-0203
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:51 AM

Thats cool man appreciate it, but I really want to fix this myself, I am a big DIYer.

I saw at Walmart a compressor for $55 not bad, i might need to compressor just to have other then using it to fix my car. Going to see if there are better deal out there.

I been really avoid using my car now and when I do I don't go on boost, I am not sure how safe for the engine to drive when the air fuel mixture is going to be off.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I respect that, but firstly, a cheap/small compressor like that is unlikely to be able to provide constant pressure for the test (i had this problem with a home depot compressor)

secondly, a drop in filter would not throw your AFR's off, not greatly atleast, the evo fuel maps are pig rich from the factory, so that half an afr drop in fuel mixture will actually help you not hurt you, and if your intake was super loose like you are claiming it to be, your mass airflow would get incorrect readings, therefore the car would run lean and studded and stall, what you are describing does not seem that drastic and crazy. post a video please.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 05:49 PM

Here is what it sounds like, its hard to pick out but its sounds like a train intake or something. http://sendvid.com/gs8yw89k

I mostly drive at nights and its not as loud as its during the day.