Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Which Evo is best for me?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Evo is best for me?

I owned a 2004 evo 8 and I loved it. It was fast I liked the raw feeling it provided. I have been looking to buy another evo soon but I don't know what I should look for. It will not be a daily driver. I have another car so I plan to only drive the evo on nice days. I am debating between the evo 8 and evo 9. Can anyone help me out?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by bhallin15
I owned a 2004 evo 8 and I loved it. It was fast I liked the raw feeling it provided. I have been looking to buy another evo soon but I don't know what I should look for. It will not be a daily driver. I have another car so I plan to only drive the evo on nice days. I am debating between the evo 8 and evo 9. Can anyone help me out?
They're basically the same car. Only difference is the interior, different gearing in the transmission, mivec on the IX, the interior, and the wheels. Either one is a great car. Which ever you find first that's clean and has low miles and has been well maintained I say get that one. IX's will most likely be a little more expensive than a VIII. I'm a little biased but a Evo IX SE is the best Evo ever made and if you find a clean one jump on it
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by e_kobz
They're basically the same car. Only difference is the interior, different gearing in the transmission, mivec on the IX, the interior, and the wheels. Either one is a great car. Which ever you find first that's clean and has low miles and has been well maintained I say get that one. IX's will most likely be a little more expensive than a VIII. I'm a little biased but a Evo IX SE is the best Evo ever made and if you find a clean one jump on it
Would you recommend the ix 5 speed over the mr?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Would you recommend the ix 5 speed over the mr?
Absolutely
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
What is your budget and will you be tracking the car or just weekend driving it?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by e_kobz
Absolutely
Why?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by nemsin
What is your budget and will you be tracking the car or just weekend driving it?
Id like to pay 15k-20k on one. But if there is a screaming deal for a little more money I could try to get the money. I would like to drive this car on sunny days/ weekends but I would like to eventually track it.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If I could go back and do it all again I would do an 06 RS.

Light weight, ACD, and Mivec it is a win all the way around. Also the evo 9's have the nice black interior and the sexy front lip, on the SE.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by TheBoz
If I could go back and do it all again I would do an 06 RS.

Light weight, ACD, and Mivec it is a win all the way around. Also the evo 9's have the nice black interior and the sexy front lip, on the SE.
See I love the evo 9 body style. It looks clean. But I don't necessarily like that the rs doesn't come with power locks/windows.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Id like to pay 15k-20k on one. But if there is a screaming deal for a little more money I could try to get the money. I would like to drive this car on sunny days/ weekends but I would like to eventually track it.
IMO IX>X>VIII. But good condition IX's are fetching a premium these days, and you will likely pay 22-25K for a nice one.

So for 15-20K, I would recommend looking for the lowest mileage 2010-13 Evo X you can find.

For track days, its pretty easy to shed some of the weight out of the X (there are weight reduction threads on evom).
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:25 AM

IMO IX>X>VIII. But good condition IX's are fetching a premium these days, and you will likely pay 22-25K for a nice one.

So for 15-20K, I would recommend looking for the lowest mileage 2010-13 Evo X you can find.

For track days, its pretty easy to shed some of the weight out of the X (there are weight reduction threads on evom).
Im told that the evo X has less potential than an evo 8/9. Is this true? My source said that you can get more power out of the 4g63 motor than you can with the evo X motor.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Why?
It's made of glass and doesn't do well when tracked.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Im told that the evo X has less potential than an evo 8/9. Is this true? My source said that you can get more power out of the 4g63 motor than you can with the evo X motor.
This is a very false statement. They both have amazing potential. Only major difference is the 4B11 block is aluminum and needs to be sleeved when pushed hard.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

There are 1000+hp evo X's out there. While its probably true that the 4g63 can "survive" a bit more power than the 4B11 in stock form, both engines should really be built if you want more than 400whp.

What are your power goals?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:36 AM

There are 1000+hp evo X's out there. While its probably true that the 4g63 can "survive" a bit more power than the 4B11 in stock form, both engines should really be built if you want more than 420whp.

What are your power goals?
I would like a car with at least 450whp. As time goes on and my money builds up that my rise. Probably no more than 600whp

Quick Reply: Which Evo is best for me?