Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Progressively burning oil ??!?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progressively burning oil ??!?

Hi guys,

Just wanted to know if anyone had any input on the titled situation.

seems for as long as I remember when I do an oil change the car seems to run fine and not burn any oil.
Once I hit roughly halfway 2500kms of my 5000km interval, it starts to burn more n more.. and by the time im at 4000-4500 its burning a bit more as it gets on.
by the time i hit the 5000km interval i have probably put in 2-2.5 quarts of oil in extra??
my car does not blow smoke on normal driving except when im WOT i can see smoke out the back. it doesnt look white or anything though?
I also dont notice any leaks under the car, no oil in my intake? i havent checked the cooler for a while though.

does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue ??

Thanks in advance !!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I'd guess at worn rings, it's probably still burning oil after the oil change but you just can't notice it. Have you done a compression test?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jonno99
I'd guess at worn rings, it's probably still burning oil after the oil change but you just can't notice it. Have you done a compression test?
only when i first bought the car 4years ago.. it was all around the 150s. but even then it use to burn progressively, i just never did anything about it just kept topping up lol..

maybe it is.. arghh.. if it is, maybe it is time to sell up for the 135 lol
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Do the checks before even thinking about selling it, you could also DIY rebuild which is what I'd do but it's not my DD so mine can sit with the block out for a long amount of time. If you track you'll find a good Evo driver will out run an 135, I was behind one in the wet and it handled terribly, no limited slip diff, he was losing control around the sharper corners and had to let me pass or he would have put it into the wall, on the straights we were side by side but I'm only mildly tuned.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

yeah ill take it to mechs for a compression/leak down test i think. hopefully its a turbo seal and not a worn rings/head gasket.

if its turbo seals would i see leaks anywhere? Is there anyway to distinguish worn rings headgasket or turbo seal or valve seal??? cos theres no oil leaks in my engine bay or on the floor in my garage.

Also since I've had the car on start ups it does smoke up a fair bit... If that's an indication of anything

mines not daily either, only weekender

Last edited by elim0; Feb 17, 2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 03:06 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure of the symptoms of turbo seal leak compared to warn rings, theres also valve guide seals too so best to do the proper tests.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jonno99
Not sure of the symptoms of turbo seal leak compared to warn rings, theres also valve guide seals too so best to do the proper tests.
what are the indications of it being in head gasket? as i dont see any water/and my radiator is still clean.

what tends to give worn rings symptoms?

my cars been burning oil for the 4yrs i had it, i just topped it up as i thought it was normal for turbo cars.. now i realise its a bit much though.

if i kept the car i was planning to e85 it, but i dont really wanna push more power until this issue is fixed.. so still on the fence.. hmm
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Head gasket, usually something like water out your exhaust or oil in the radiator water
Worn rings, burning oil and loss of compression
Old Feb 18, 2016, 01:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,563 Likes on 1,341 Posts
What oil are you using? Sounds like its thinning out and burning off...
Old Feb 18, 2016, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Sounds like valve seals to me. I had a DSM with a turbo 4G63 that started blowing smoke on startup and consuming oil. New valve seals was the fix. However, if the car has a lot of miles you may need head work. Loose valve guides will take out new seals.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 04:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Sounds like valve seals to me. I had a DSM with a turbo 4G63 that started blowing smoke on startup and consuming oil. New valve seals was the fix. However, if the car has a lot of miles you may need head work. Loose valve guides will take out new seals.
cheers for replies guys. have no oil in the radiator, or dont see any water in the exhaust. havent had a compression test in 3-4 years since i bought the car, but the cars been doing it the whole life i had it, and when i did get the compression it was all around 145-155ish.

obviously really wouldnt want it to b worn rings or head gasket as they are big jobs.

might have to look into valve seals, they wouldnt be much to replace right? cars had cams for at many years too.. (272 kelfords) if that could be any contribution to the valve seals etc..
Old Feb 21, 2016, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by elim0
cheers for replies guys. have no oil in the radiator, or dont see any water in the exhaust. havent had a compression test in 3-4 years since i bought the car, but the cars been doing it the whole life i had it, and when i did get the compression it was all around 145-155ish.

obviously really wouldnt want it to b worn rings or head gasket as they are big jobs.

might have to look into valve seals, they wouldnt be much to replace right? cars had cams for at many years too.. (272 kelfords) if that could be any contribution to the valve seals etc..
The only way to know if valve seals are the culprit is to replace them. This can be done with the head on the car.