Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another New Evo IX Owner Reporting for Duty!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another New Evo IX Owner Reporting for Duty!! PICS Inside!

Whats up guys!

Ive been trolling this site for a while now and i am proud to officially say i am doing this as an official EVO owner! Ive been in the DSM community for a long time and have had big brother donate their turbos to my projects, so i am familiar with the platform....butttt it was time to step up.

I picked up a 2006 Evo IX with around 80k miles....but shes kind of a mut. So the back story, whoever was the second owner decided to paint it Paul Walker ricer green, it was key'd (shocking) and was sold off to someone who decided to paint it pearl white. Well they did a fantastic job painting it the proper way (.....see pics )and obviously put it up for sale to where the current owner before me decided to drive it like you would a Dodge Ram. Seeing this un-natural progression of what a lower mileage EVO IX should entail, i decided to bring this ole girl home and give her the love and respect she deserves.

What i forgot to tell you all, this car came from the factory in Electric Blue!!!!

So...the good...it is very lightly modded. D2 Coilovers, Team Dynamic Rims, Hard pipe w/ HKS Blow off valve. I did get the oem parts with it so the non recirc BOV and pipe need to go back on ASAP. The real positives are it runs good, sounds healthy, shifts great, so the first mods I will be doing is maintenance. Please lend me some knowledge what yall would recommend on top of the recommended 90K maintenance service. After this i will be sending it to my good mates body shop to be stripped down to its skibbies and painted OEM Electric Blue. After that i will Xpel the front to protect the paint (i'm an installer so its a must) and drive the pants off of it.

I look forward to the fun times ahead! Thanks to an awesome forum and the enormous amounts of information everyone shares on here to make stuff like this even more enjoyable! And now for the only thing people care about.... PICS!!!

On the way back from the abusive household lol

Colors

And More Colors

I swear I have the bumper...

RIP to the Busta

Oh hey there OEM Color

SSQVBOV

Last edited by turbobird14; Mar 13, 2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Now thats a cute project, well done bringing this poor old neglected beast back to life, the green matches your brooms have you noticed, it'll be interesting to see how she turns out and what colour you go with, I like the blue and you wont need to pull the motor if you bring it back to original colour ;0)

If not done already full major engine belts service required, don't drive it until this is done, it might pop. Plus all fluids and full leak down test. Stabilise the patient first in the emergency ward, operate on vital parts, keep alive then work on rehabilitation
Old Mar 9, 2016, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
Now thats a cute project, well done bringing this poor old neglected beast back to life, the green matches your brooms have you noticed, it'll be interesting to see how she turns out and what colour you go with, I like the blue and you wont need to pull the motor if you bring it back to original colour ;0)

If not done already full major engine belts service required, don't drive it until this is done, it might pop. Plus all fluids and full leak down test. Stabilise the patient first in the emergency ward, operate on vital parts, keep alive then work on rehabilitation
Haha I am just noticing the brooms lol. Yes i will be going Electric Blue. I appreciate the input.

I do have one concern, i have oil dripping from the intercooler pipe and it looks saturated. Now i understand a little bit of oil is common in the IC pipe and intercooler.... but im pretty sure it shouldnt be that much. All i can think this could be is oil seals in the turbo, someone please validate this!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 06:45 PM

Just to clarify, it is the soft lower intercooler pipe on the passenger side connecting to the intercooler core.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
the experts will chime in, but oil from the LICP will mean leaking turbo shaft seal, could mean turbo rebuild,l maybe pull and check for play and new seals
Old Mar 10, 2016, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome! Yep, some oil is normal but it's always good to check for shaft play if you think it's more than expected.

Also I do believe that's the most colors I've seen on an Evo...... ever....
Old Mar 10, 2016, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jmills
Welcome! Yep, some oil is normal but it's always good to check for shaft play if you think it's more than expected.

Also I do believe that's the most colors I've seen on an Evo...... ever....
Unfortunately, i will have to agree with you on this one.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 07:10 AM

So Im just going to assume worse case scenario is the turbo will need to be rebuilt. Fortunately we have a few good tuning shops locally I'm sure I can send my turbo out to.

Ill be ordering all of the maintenance items this week and hopefully get all that on by next weekend. Any suggested vendors to order through for the maintenance items? Ive browsed the vendor section but nobody has updated about offing deals on this specifically.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Welcome, and Congratulations! I wish you a 'speedy recovery' on bringing her back from this 'Skittles Mode', and abuse...It sounds like she is finally in the proper hands! Will be watching for future updates! Thanks for 'saving' her! Cheers!
Old Mar 13, 2016, 08:32 PM

Just to update, I spent some time with the ole girl this weekend. Under further review of the turbo and oil situation, I found out the small oil leak is coming from the turbo oil feed. Simple fix! I pulled the saturated intercooler pipe to see how much oil was actually in the pipe, and it was basically non-existant. All of the oil was just residual dripping from the oil feed line, so I cleaned everything up and put it back together. I pulled the intake pipe to check the shaft play and there is very minimum, so I'm stoked to say the least!

Old Mar 13, 2016, 08:46 PM

I also started the maintenance process. Changed the oil with Mobil 1 Oil and Filter which was way overdue from the looks of it. Pulled the spark plugs and well......

So yeah that was needed. Replaced them with the OEM NGK Laser Iridium plugs.

This smoothed the car out a ton! It had a little but of what seemed like a misfire when you first fire it up, the new plugs took that right away.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 09:11 PM

Next thing up were the brakes. I was told the front brakes were replaced with stoptech rotors and aftermarket pads....which they were, but they were screaming when you hit the brakes so something was jacked up. It was more dominate on the passanger, but I decided to pull both rotors and see if i could get them turned and just replace the pads. This is when I realized I needed to go over everything on the car, since clearly the former owner was a hack mechanic.

The caliper bolt was F@$#ing crossthreaded. It wasnt even close to being tightened down. By the grace of God, I was able to get the bolt out, re-tap the brembo caliper from the back so the threads would be straight, and replace the mounting bolts with new hardware. The rest of the process went smooth, the rotors were in great shape with little material that needed to be removed, I got some new ceramic pads, and assembled it all back together without a problem.

Old Mar 13, 2016, 09:19 PM

While pulling the intake pipe, I noticed a small module and have no idea what it is. Of coarse its mounted with zip ties...fml... it looks like the cooling fan is plugged into it, but there is also a spot that looks like a pigtail plugs into that is clearly open.

Someone lend me your knowledge of what this is!!! Thank you!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good God! If you're even thinking about lime green on a car please just wrap the thing.

Congrats on the new car, it seems to be in good hands. Good luck!
Old Mar 15, 2016, 06:38 AM

if i'm thinking correctly that box is a control for the fans. congrats on the car. i hate seeing cars like this be abused.

Quick Reply: Another New Evo IX Owner Reporting for Duty!!