Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Daily driver

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Daily driver

Hello you beautiful people,
Back in 2006 I bought an Evo IX brand new from the mitsubishi dealership off of Stevenson Creek blvd in san jose. I've been driving my car everyday after i bought it and have enjoyed every moment of it. I have keep up with all the general maintenance up to 95,000 miles and so far everything is working just as well as it first did when I bought the car. I would like to start making some modifications to the suspension system to increase it handling capabilities for both daily driving use and also I want to start driving the car for autocross. If possible can anyone else give me any advice with other modification i could make to improve the cars driving ability and performance without completely destroying my bank account. also, is there someone out there that can help me learn more about the autocross world with tips on how to get started.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
you need to read more on here, this place is full of mods for what your looking for

whiteline bars front and back
coil overs take your pick and budget
r spec tyres
wider rims
theres youtubes on first track days too

just google best coil overs for evo and it usually comes back here...lol
Old Mar 10, 2016, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
coilovers for sure. asking which brand will depend on how much you want to or can spend, but from what i've seen both Ohlin and KW are top in its class. If you are on Facebook, I would also check out Bay Area Evo Owners if you're not on there already
Old Mar 13, 2016, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Coilovers and Rota Grids, call it a day.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
General wisdom is to start autocrossing the car stock first. As you get more comfortable then you can start throwing parts at it. Start by investing in seat time, then start looking at parts.

That said, if you haven't done it yet, restacking the rear diff is the first thing you should do as it's essentially free besides the cost of fresh diff oil.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord
General wisdom is to start autocrossing the car stock first. As you get more comfortable then you can start throwing parts at it. Start by investing in seat time, then start looking at parts.

That said, if you haven't done it yet, restacking the rear diff is the first thing you should do as it's essentially free besides the cost of fresh diff oil.
Great advice here!
Old Apr 2, 2016, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
owned an evo for 10 years and only 1 post here, crazy!
Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haah same here man, my car is pretty much stock and i got it for 10yrs too. only got injen intake and hks carbon ti installed
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
I agree with Raptord. I wish I had less power when I first started autocrossing. Get seat time in and when you think you're comfortable with the car and autocrossing, then upgrade.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 07:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord

All I would add besides what is said here is get another set of wheels and tires. Just so you always have the street set safe for DD duty.

The cost of tires and fuel to run many autocrosses may shock you.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What do you want your car to do? If the ONLY change you want is to autocross then make sure your brakes and tires are up for it and find a local club. Get involved.

There are multiple classifications based on what you've done to your car. But you have to learn to drive her first. So you may as well stay stock for now. I promise it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

BTW, if you put on coils, you'll never get a "comfortable" drive or ride again on the streets. Your streets may be different but, here in Illinois, coils are a huge change on our busted up roads.

Go have fun at an event!