Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Resonated test pipe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 01:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Resonated test pipe

Hello,
I know I should search the forum first before posting but I want to know more experiences about people having resonated test pipes in california, more specific norcal. The city i live in is quite small and it's mainly for college. Is it worth it to get the test pipe and has anyone actually got caught by a cop for it? I was against it until i saw the hp difference on my friends with the test pipe. So far, i only have basic bolt ons. How often will it backfire like situation wise. My friend drives an STI and his does it when he redline it. Is that the only time it would backfire? Would it backfire if i drive normally? i usually shift at 4k rpm. I just don't want to risk it if it's random even at low speeds. Please share experience! Thank you.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 07:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
For sure, pull that cat off & install the test pipe. I run a non resonated test pipe but my mid-pipe is resonated as well as the rear muffler (full 3" Invidia DP & exhaust). You will be needing a tune!

I live in the South (So.Cal). Turbo cars have a natural muffler & are relatively quiet

No backfires to worry about if youre just referring to the test pipe. Backfiring may either be purposely involved in the tune or some type of engine issue. You shouldnt be backfiring
The following users liked this post:
weeeeeeeeee (Mar 17, 2016)
Old Mar 17, 2016, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
For sure, pull that cat off & install the test pipe. I run a non resonated test pipe but my mid-pipe is resonated as well as the rear muffler (full 3" Invidia DP & exhaust). You will be needing a tune!

I live in the South (So.Cal). Turbo cars have a natural muffler & are relatively quiet

No backfires to worry about if youre just referring to the test pipe. Backfiring may either be purposely involved in the tune or some type of engine issue. You shouldnt be backfiring
Thanks, , I will be putting it on next week along with other bolt ons and tune. Does your car smell bad with the test pipe? Like on a rating of 1(barely any smell) to 5 (very bad). I already have a invidia 3"downpipe along with an hks hi power exhaust, this test pipe is the only thing missing for exhaust system I think. Also, I daily drive the car if that matters at all.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 09:56 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
e-85 smells a whole lot better without a cat then gasoline. To answer your question though, yah it gonna smell. How bad it smells will be determined by how fast you are moving.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 06:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
^^^I Agree. Yes 91 stinks & but the 85 is a much better whiff

After thinking about this, maybe you would better off running a high flow cat. I used to run the RRE high flow which worked great (i still have it). If I were DD'ing the EVO, I would probably go w/that
Old Mar 18, 2016, 09:24 PM

Hmm, I think i will just go on E85 then with the straight pipe. I can pretty easily get E85 here but the problem is my tuner told me my stock clutch might not hold. I'm currently at 262 awhp (viii) on a mustang dyno. I told them and they said clutch might slip because of too much power/torque. I was originally planned to do E85, straight pipe and the whole intercooler but my tuner said the E85 might increase it pass the clutch's limit so i decided to not go on E85 yet till later when i save enough for a new clutch.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock clutch? definitely replace it, and if youre running e-85, get some bigger injectors and a fuel pump that can deliver.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by leemaster
Stock clutch? definitely replace it, and if youre running e-85, get some bigger injectors and a fuel pump that can deliver.
Yes, and I already have those. Just waiting for the tune and a new clutch. Guess I will just go with either the high flow cat or wait for clutch to do E85, and straight pipe.