Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Thinking of joining the club.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2016, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of joining the club.

Like the title says, I'm thinking of joining the Evo club.
I'm more or less just looking for some insight, and opinions and I figured there'd be no better place to look
First off, I have the opportunity to pick up a '96 Evo 4 for less than $1000. The engine has a knock in one of the cylinders, so the engine is basically done.
There is a JDM shop here that has a 4G63T block for $1600. It comes with everything need besides the cam angle sensor, but the dead block would have it so no biggie.
My first question is, is it worth it?
I also want to know if any 4G63T will work? I cannot seem to find anywhere if there is a specific engine I need to find, or is a 4G63T the same as any other? The only information I can find is one line is said to be '90-'94 6 Bolt, and the one I'm looking at is said to be '95-'99 7 bolt. As long as I get all the components including ECU and wiring it should basically be Plug-and- play correct?

I appreciate the help in advance.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd say it's worth it, if the car is in decent shape and you can fix it up right. You should be able to use a 4g63 from an Evo 4-9, the 1-3 is like the eclipse the timing side/transmission or on the opposite sides. Be ready to pay for maintenance and repairs for this car, for $1K i'd imagine it's not in the best of shapes, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car itself is in pretty decent condition. The guy has it listed on a buy/sell website for $4000, which is quite close to what I'd say it is actually worth. I did some "wheelin and dealin" and was able to get him to drop his price, I'm thinking it just wants it off his lot.