Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Starter wire blows fuse??????

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2016, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starter wire blows fuse??????

I just replaced my MAP sensor in my 05 Evo 8 with an Omni 4 bar. I recently had the code pop up that my sensor was bad. I contacted Bob at Omni and let him know. They replaced it for free. Awesome customer service!!! So I got the new one and put it in and it idled better. I took it out to drive and it stalls out again. CEL comes on. I am on my way to take it to get the code checked into town and every time I go into neutral the car stalls. Probably stalled 5-6 times. When I pull into advanced auto my car will not even start anymore. I turn the key and all the lights come and nothing is dim. However I hear something click up front every time I try. It just won't crank. I check a couple fuses and they where all good. I recently did a battery relocate to the back and the distribution block has two 30 amp fuses. The fuse with the starter wire going to it was blown. It was a 30amp. I replaced it with a 30 and it blew again, I replaced it with a 50 and then an 80 and then a 100. All of them blew. I ran a direct line from the starter to the battery in the back and it blew 100 amp fuse. I ran a new wire from the starter to the distribution block and blew the 50 amp. I do not know what else to do. I am pretty much stumped as I ran a new wire from it and the car ran prior in the day. At advanced the only code they read was the MAP sensor again so I'm thinking that problem will be in the wiring for it. I've never heard of this happening before and searched for it with no results. The battery terminals are brand new and I had the battery tested while at advanced so I know it is good. Any help is appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
SteveR22 (Nov 23, 2021)
Old Mar 25, 2016, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Also forgot to add when my car broke down I was pushed out of the road down a hill. While going down the hill I popped the clutch and it started up. Only to of course stall on me when I stopped. That was the last time it ran.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Did you try to swap the starter with a known good one?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eXtreme-Speed
Did you try to swap the starter with a known good one?
No I got one on order because that is one of the last things I can think of. It should be in early tomorrow morning.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
For some reason the engine is now hard to crank. The starter will pull as much amperage as necessary. I saw a starter on a Mini Cooper pull 400 amps in a youtube video where the alternator was seized.

I'd suggest pulling the accessory belt and spinning all of the accessories and idler pulleys. Then turn the engine over by hand to see how hard it cranks. If all is okay there then probably the starter.

Last edited by barneyb; Mar 26, 2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Update: I changed out the starter. The first time I tried starting it, it cranked and then blew the fuse after about 4 seconds.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
How is the wiring from the fusible link to the starter? Is it shorting out on anything?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IzzyRS
How is the wiring from the fusible link to the starter? Is it shorting out on anything?
I thought that might have been the problem last night. I ended up running a brand new wire though and it still blows the fuse.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What gauge wire did you use? If it's too small you will have too much of a draw causing it to pop a fuse. Did this work before you moved it to the back? If so you know your problem is somewhere with the install. Check your ground and make sure it is good also. Bare steel on that is the best. Good luck.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cal City Evo
What gauge wire did you use? If it's too small you will have too much of a draw causing it to pop a fuse. Did this work before you moved it to the back? If so you know your problem is somewhere with the install. Check your ground and make sure it is good also. Bare steel on that is the best. Good luck.
I used 0 gauge for the wire to relocate to the trunk. When I replaced the wire to the starter it was just a tad bigger than the original wire. I'm thinking around 8 gauge. I'm gonna check my pulleys now.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
For some reason the engine is now hard to crank. The starter will pull as much amperage as necessary. I saw a starter on a Mini Cooper pull 400 amps in a youtube video where the alternator was seized.

I'd suggest pulling the accessory belt and spinning all of the accessories and idler pulleys. Then turn the engine over by hand to see how hard it cranks. If all is okay there then probably the starter.

Engine does not crank (seized alternator) - Mini Cooper - YouTube
Checked the pullies and they are all good and spin freely. Don't know what my step will be now.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Update: I ran the wire from the starter directly to the battery wire with no fuse. Started up fine. I did not have the alternator wire hooked up in the distro block however.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

As of now to finish this thread off the car starts. Without a fuse between the starter and the battery. I ran a separate wire to the alternator to the battery with a fuse and it didn't blow. I order another distro block that I think is better but it will have a fuse in it. If it comes down to it I'll just run the starter wire to the battery with no fuse.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I am having the same issue. Keep blowing the fuse on the fusible link. I would like to run the starter wire directly, although I am worried it is causing a short for a specific reason.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Ground.

Quick Reply: Starter wire blows fuse??????