Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Unsure if tuning issue or not.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unsure if tuning issue or not.

I bought my 05 evo 8 and the previous owner did not know much about it unfortunately. I took the car out for a test drive and it would some times stall out if I shifted into neutral. I went and had the codes checked and it said it was the MAP sensor for sure and could possibly be the IAC sensor as well. Took the car home and it idled like crazy. Did a boost leak test and found 2 major boost leaks and fixed them. I replaced the omni 4 bar MAP sensor and replaced the IAC sensor. Started it up and let it run for a minute and no CELs. Idles a lot better now. Started it up for the second time and got a CEL. Took it to have it read and it came back with 1 code which was bad MAP. I do not think it is bad. From looking at the car it previously had speed density installed on it. It has the sensor for it in the upper intercooler pipe. I have no idea if it was tuned on speed density or what not but I cut back the electrical tape and could see that the MAP sensor has had its wires tapped into before. After putting the new MAP sensor in though it stalls out every single time now when I shift into neutral. It currently has a MAF on it with an aftermarket intake pipe. I cannot find a diagram of how to wire your MAP to your ecu or a way to test my MAP sensor. Also on my AEM digital gauge it has been reading my vac at idle to be -28 to -30 while idling. I found a way to test the sensor on the gauge and plan to that on my next day off. If it is currently tuned on speed density is there anyway I can revert to having it run on the MAF without taking it to tuner? Thanks in advanced for any help.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
well you cant just put a map sensor on and hope it works, specially if it was tuned on SD, every different sensor has different scalings that needs to be put in, 4 bar omni is most popular, have you tried unplugging the MAF to see how it runs?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roni4g63
well you cant just put a map sensor on and hope it works, specially if it was tuned on SD, every different sensor has different scalings that needs to be put in, 4 bar omni is most popular, have you tried unplugging the MAF to see how it runs?
I unplugged the maf and it idled a little differently but still idled. I have no idea if it was tuned on SD is what I'm saying. It was throwing the Map code and that's why I replaced it.