Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need advice before making an IX MR purchase

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Welcome2GoodBur
What would be the difference between US Spec and Euro Spec VIII seats? You can't see it so much on the driver side, but the passenger side has the red stitching
I believe the UK FQ cars just got the blue/grey/black JDM 8 seats. In addition to the grey, they were a bit narrower and had more side bolstering than the USDM seats. http://www.performance-car-guide.co....0-Interior.jpg

USDM got fat boy seats.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Welcome2GoodBur
What would be the difference between US Spec and Euro Spec VIII seats? You can't see it so much on the driver side, but the passenger side has the red stitching
I think the question should be why did he swap the Evo IX seats for Evo VIII?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
see here:
http://www.lancerregister.com/art_fq400report.php

I'm pretty sure all the FQ seats look like this:
http://s241.photobucket.com/user/ee9...00366.jpg.html

As others have said, those look like standard evo 8 seats.
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by cts4g63
I think the question should be why did he swap the Evo IX seats for Evo VIII?
That was my thought....i don't think he did. I believe it was the second owner.
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you run the VIN/CarFax?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cts4g63
Have you run the VIN/CarFax?
Yup. Clean. No accidents or claims. He showed me the original VIN printed on everything
Old Apr 13, 2016, 02:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
First off, it doesn't look bad. It's actually pretty clean given those pictures.

Those are evo 8 front seats whether the seller knew it or not and the price should be adjusted as such. Some people like to swap their nice IX seats with their evo 8 buddies before a sale. Could be first or second owner.

Other than that, if he has the original radio bezel and or strut bar, Id' say 20k would be a fair price.

Remember that this is your money and your car searching stress in the end. If you like it $1000.00 more, then 21k should be fine as well.

I have knowingly spent more on a car before (240sx) just because of how unmolested it was compared to others I could find in my area. If this is the best you have found in your area in a while then it might be worth it. Just remember that whatever choice you make, do not regret it, just keep moving forward.

It's also worth noting that you don't ALWAYS have to kill yourself finding the best deals in life.

-pal215
Old Apr 13, 2016, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
I would keep searching. The right car will pop up eventually.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I went to buy one once and it had old seats, I realized from the key hole that it must have been broken into and the seats stollen, probably written off by the insurance, the fact was he didn't day anything when I asked him other then he sold the originals and bought these to save money lol so I walked. But when you find the right car you will know and odds are that the owner will have it 3-5 k over what you want to pay cause it wil be a nice car, I was the guy who payed the extra 4k and have never regretted it.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 03:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Ask which ohlins are on it, as for pictures of them if he isn't sure. IMO, with the SSR wheels, and if the Ohlins are the Road/Track model, $22k is fine. As long as the car is as clean in person as it looks in the pics.

The seats aren't a huge deal to me. Its just a difference in material, not feel. They don't look quite as good, but they can always be changed later..

Its funny that you guys would pay way over $25k (with no regard for KBB value) if this car had 30k miles on it. But since it has higher mileage (though still low for the year), blue book value is all of a sudden a valid price point.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

I offered him 20, then 21. He declined, and we have cancelled the process. I really hope y'all are right, I had my hopes on this one. Plus, now I'm out the $70 for the rental car I was gonna drive down, but I guess if its saving me 1000 of dollars ....
Old Apr 13, 2016, 04:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Ask which ohlins are on it, as for pictures of them if he isn't sure. IMO, with the SSR wheels, and if the Ohlins are the Road/Track model, $22k is fine. As long as the car is as clean in person as it looks in the pics.

The seats aren't a huge deal to me. Its just a difference in material, not feel. They don't look quite as good, but they can always be changed later..

Its funny that you guys would pay way over $25k (with no regard for KBB value) if this car had 30k miles on it. But since it has higher mileage (though still low for the year), blue book value is all of a sudden a valid price point.
+1 on this.

OP, I hope that you made the choice to cancel the deal based on what you wanted to do and not what a bunch of forum members are telling you to do.

-pal215
Old Apr 13, 2016, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
+1 on this.

OP, I hope that you made the choice to cancel the deal based on what you wanted to do and not what a bunch of forum members are telling you to do.

-pal215
I value the advice given on these forums; I understand it is a mixed bag. I still feel that it is a good deal....which matters the most. But at this point the guy is probably sick of me flip flopping; he has been very accommodating so far. Someone should ****** this up either way

I feel like it shouldn't be this hard if its meant to be.....or maybe it is?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 05:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
If you think its a good deal, go look at it!
Old Apr 13, 2016, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
If you rock up with cash in hand, say, $21,000, maybe the smell of money might make him budge. Its just a question of which party's patience wearing out first.

Quick Reply: Need advice before making an IX MR purchase