Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

when your number comes up

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
when your number comes up

I don't normally talk about this almost like a hex type thing but I'm in the company of my Evo brothers so I'll carry on......

A couple of weekends ago, I was out on an early drive, sunday morning job, very early, I'm usually out just on day break so not many other around.....i went out to my usual coffee shop grabbed a paper and was on my way back, this is a winding twisty hour bush drive, not in a built up area. I wasnt cranking on the way back and was sitting on the speed limit, I came around a corner coming towards me was a bunch of cars two porsches and a car and tralier, suddenly another porsche, he must have still been behind the trailer, pulls out as he was almost committed he saw me coming the other way, there was no way he could have made it, but if I was 3 seconds later, he would have been head to head with me as I came around the corner, not sure if I would have survived the head on....as I went past the bunch I put my horn into them, angry Evo driver gives porsches the horn type thing.....

So I've been thinking about it, out of all that time...an hour there and hour back, it was all up to those few seconds on how close I came to a head on collision. It all happened in a flash as I came around that corner, there was no way out. Sort of lost my nerve a bit now, these guy obviously thought no one was around and they were all seeing the pink mist, dangerous situation.

Have you ever been in this situation?

Last edited by Jonno99; Apr 17, 2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah man, sometimes it really is just a matter of seconds. Makes you really appreciate the next time you get back home in one piece.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 06:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Read your Bible

I returned and saw under the sun that—

The race is not to the swift,
Nor the battle to the strong,
Nor bread to the wise,
Nor riches to men of understanding,
Nor favor to men of skill;
But time and chance happen to them all.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Read your Bible

I returned and saw under the sun that—

The race is not to the swift,
Nor the battle to the strong,
Nor bread to the wise,
Nor riches to men of understanding,
Nor favor to men of skill;
But time and chance happen to them all.
I found an old school bible in a box in my garage and its been sitting under my work bench, I might read a passage in thanks of still being around after my drives
Old Apr 18, 2016, 05:05 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
luck has a huge roll to play in life, but living and acting in a responsible manner helps improve the odds. To put it more simply, don't do stupid ****.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 05:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
I've had several close calls myself where I should have wrecked or been involved in a serious accident. I know that it is hard to forget about these things because they really could have cost you your life. We just have to learn from these experiences and move forward. These days I know more about how to avoid these incidences so that things are safer. Still, I have to thank God for every time my friends and I made it out alive.

They say that when it's not your time, it's not your time, no matter how bad things look.

-pal215
Old Apr 18, 2016, 07:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonno99
I found an old school bible in a box in my garage and its been sitting under my work bench, I might read a passage in thanks of still being around after my drives
I urge you (all of you) to read a very short book (Ecclesiastes). Its only 12 pages. Ive dubbed it the wake-up book

Read it here: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...Ecclesiastes+1

Not my job to make believers out of you guys, but this book will wake you up if you allow it

We've all had our what-if moments. And I agree w/Pal215, how we manner ourselves, out there, driving these machines, makes a world of difference

Peace, Joe

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Apr 18, 2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 09:54 PM

3.1 innocent children die every year from starvation, but Yahweh is watching out for you on your commute? No thats not how the world works. People would be much better served by a Defensive driving course then a sunday mass. I know im being that guy, but this just isnt the place for proselytizing. Or at least I would like it not to be....
The following users liked this post:
96Dsm2Evo05 (Apr 20, 2016)
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Nobody is saying that you're wrong. Evom is always going to be much more science and engineering than it is religion, but we are just thankful to have walked away from those dangerous incidences regardless of our beliefs.

-pal215
Old Apr 19, 2016, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
accidents

Every day I drive my car, there's always some type of situation that I need to react to or avoid. The problem is, there are too many dumba$$es on the road now. So what has helped me survive with my evo intact is thinking two steps ahead. This is basic street common sense. If you see someone driving like a dumba$$, stay away from them! Same thing applies to cops and tickets lol..

This morning I was driving to work on my daily commute to work. I'm only fifteen minutes away from work, but that doesn't mean I don't have encounter problems. I'm driving in the fast lane. Slow car in front of me moves out of my way so I start speeding up to close up the gap. Then dumba$$ cuts me off with no signal. One of those look one second then cut moves. So instead of sitting on my horn, I just give him a nod with my head showing him "no" that was not a good move. Well, dumba$$ gets butt hurt rolls down his window and gives me the middle finger. He created the situation but yet he's angry with me? That's what I deal with on a daily basis.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hearnoevo
This morning I was driving to work on my daily commute to work. I'm only fifteen minutes away from work, but that doesn't mean I don't have encounter problems. I'm driving in the fast lane. Slow car in front of me moves out of my way so I start speeding up to close up the gap. Then dumba$$ cuts me off with no signal. One of those look one second then cut moves. So instead of sitting on my horn, I just give him a nod with my head showing him "no" that was not a good move. Well, dumba$$ gets butt hurt rolls down his window and gives me the middle finger. He created the situation but yet he's angry with me? That's what I deal with on a daily basis.

Sounds like the everyday driver in NJ.

I do agree not to bring religion into this, but God (yes, god) gave us all brains. Its up to us on how to use them.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by BigT
Sounds like the everyday driver in NJ.

I do agree not to bring religion into this, but God (yes, god) gave us all brains. Its up to us on how to use them.
You are literally contradicting yourself in a single sentence. You have to understand that just saying what you said is incredible divisive and controversial, and carries way too much baggage to occupy the intellectual space that is a car enthusiast forum. The fact that this back and forth is even happening is proof of that.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
I urge you (all of you) to read a very short book (Ecclesiastes). Its only 12 pages. Ive dubbed it the wake-up book

Read it here: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...Ecclesiastes+1

Not my job to make believers out of you guys, but this book will wake you up if you allow it

We've all had our what-if moments. And I agree w/Pal215, how we manner ourselves, out there, driving these machines, makes a world of difference

Peace, Joe
Great book Joe !

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
You are literally contradicting yourself in a single sentence. You have to understand that just saying what you said is incredible divisive and controversial, and carries way too much baggage to occupy the intellectual space that is a car enthusiast forum. The fact that this back and forth is even happening is proof of that.
This forum has people of all kinds of intellect...yours included...bringing up judgmental criticism is proof of your own divisiveness.

Last edited by whtrice; Apr 19, 2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Here goes the circle jerk.

Shutup, have a beer , and realize that anything can happen any day, whether you believe in God or not. Just don't be an idiot and make it your own fault.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by whtrice
Great book Joe !

This forum has people of all kinds of intellect...yours included...bringing up judgmental criticism is proof of your own divisiveness.
If you think me saying this isn't the place to proselytize is divisive, then I think you are proving my point. I haven't said "If you believe X then you are Y kind of person" so i don't really see how I am being judgmental.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Apr 19, 2016 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: when your number comes up