Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hi guys, new here looking for direction please.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi guys, new here looking for direction please.

Hi peeps, a big hello to all and hope some people may be able to help guide me a little.

so decided to finally buy a evo 6 Tommie mak which I've always wanted for years but never had the chance. I'm a complete noob to the evo, but I have always wanted the red Tommie 6. I have looked on car sales, and after speaking to some of the sellers, I thought I'd get some advice from you guys as which is the best way to go about it.

Looking to purchase something relatively clean in red.
Hoping original km, can that even be verified? Or are all clocks wound back with imports?
Is it best to import the car, or buy from carsales already here?
Do you recommend any importers, I've spoken to import monster and they seem OK to talk too.
So I don't get ripped off, what kind of prices are we looking at for a close to original car under 100,000km, hopefully genuine.
Any other things to look out for?

Greatly appreciate any feedback and advice you could possible share. Cheers.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 06:18 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hello

There are a few members here who are familiar w/the models below the EVO8

Posting up here is great but you may get a few more competent replies in the MLR forum. See the link in my sig for the best EVO build. That forum has experience from the first EVO up to current
The following users liked this post:
Barny79 (Apr 26, 2016)
Old Apr 26, 2016, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hello

There are a few members here who are familiar w/the models below the EVO8

Posting up here is great but you may get a few more competent replies in the MLR forum. See the link in my sig for the best EVO build. That forum has experience from the first EVO up to current
That's a uk site? Thanks I'll do some research to learn about the vehicle cheers.
Still need help from people here that have purchased or imported and may direct some help.
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Apr 26, 2016)
Old Apr 26, 2016, 06:44 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Yes, UK mainly, but all over as well. Its a great site. Been a member there since 2008. They are the best!
Old Apr 26, 2016, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
IMO I love the mak but they are getting a bit old, so don't go into one without knowing you may be fixing a few issues, I personally wouldn't believe any Import k's unless a pro shop did a full mech inspection on it. If you can afford it go with an IX, if you can't go with an VIII MR if you are handy with DIY and inspecting and low budget then have a shot at a mak
Old Apr 26, 2016, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

IMO I love the mak but they are getting a bit old, so don't go into one without knowing you may be fixing a few issues, I personally wouldn't believe any Import k's unless a pro shop did a full mech inspection on it. If you can afford it go with an IX, if you can't go with an VIII MR if you are handy with DIY and inspecting and low budget then have a shot at a mak
Old Apr 26, 2016, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
I really wanted the Tom mak, always wanted one and couldn't afford it. It has to be or I wouldnt buy any other. I'm not sure how much extra to pay, trying to import hopefully a cleaner example, or buy one already here from carsales.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Ok as long as you know what your getting into, there's some nice reds in caresales at the moment, they are asking good money like 25k up, I'd always budget another 5k on repairs, insurance, rego too, also add interstate transport and taking it to the pits costs, the won't pass it with illegal mods too so keep that in mind. Took me a good 6 months to get the nine. Get to know all the issues they have so you can look out for them, there's a good buying my first Evo sticky thread on here too.
Don't rush into your first one unless checks out as top condition.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Be involved with picking your TME from Japan, lots of sites let you log in and see what is upcoming at auction. Try to get a 4.0 or 4.5 auction grade car. Plus this way, you get to see what the car actually cost at auction. As far as picking an importer, pick a place that you can walk in the door and talk with them.

For learning about the car, http://www.lancerregister.com/ has way more info on early model evos (since we never go them in the US).

P.S. If you can, get an VI TME RS. You can thank me later.