Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lancer Evo 7 import

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 06:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lancer Evo 7 import

If the 2003 movie fast and the furious was legally allowed to import the Evo 7, I'm sure they had to crash test the vehicle and get it approved, wouldn't we be allowed to import it with that defense and proof alone and just switch the crash beams and change dial?

I want a RHD Evo so bad
Old Jun 23, 2016, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most likely they had it imported for track/show purposes. I believe but dont quote me on this but i think it falls under the 25 year import law.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
The Evo 7 is not on the List of Nonconforming Vehicles Eligible for Importation - NHTSA
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

There are a very small number of legal LHD 7's in the US. I think they came in during the making of F&F.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
RHD here in US is not a smart thing to do.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 09:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
RHD here in US is not a smart thing to do.
Why not? Ive got a friend who has a jeep cherokee that is RHD once used as a mail courier vehicle its pretty interesting going through a fast food joint.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
The Evo 7 is not on the List of Nonconforming Vehicles Eligible for Importation - NHTSA
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

There are a very small number of legal LHD 7's in the US. I think they came in during the making of F&F.
but in order for them they had to be tested, i know if they are legal, couldnt you import exact car and show it was proof it was safe with minor changes?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by suddoth1
but in order for them they had to be tested, i know if they are legal, couldnt you import exact car and show it was proof it was safe with minor changes?
To my understanding, not on list of nonconforming vehicles eligible for importation = not Federally legal.

You could petition to have the Evo 7 added to the list, but unless you have proof the vehicle meets the Federally mandated safety standards, and EPA emission standards (like actually able to provide the documentation), then I doubt you will get very far.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
To my understanding, not on list of nonconforming vehicles eligible for importation = not Federally legal.

You could petition to have the Evo 7 added to the list, but unless you have proof the vehicle meets the Federally mandated safety standards, and EPA emission standards (like actually able to provide the documentation), then I doubt you will get very far.
As far as I understand the rules that sounds correct. For example US Evo 8's and 9's don't have the SAYC system that JDM 7/8/9's have due to where the EVAP system had to be fit to meet US emissions requirements. That's just one of likely many things that would have to be changed if one were even to attempt to bring a 7 here.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by suddoth1
I want a RHD Evo so bad
If you really want a rhd 7, there are ways. Send me a PM.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
We can get them in Canada now lol.
The following users liked this post:
Ferp (Jun 26, 2016)
Old Jun 29, 2016, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my country if you don't worry about budget of purchase evo you could order from japan auction cutted evo 7 rhd and put it on legel left hand evo which already registered. but you shoud change wheel drive to left. yeah its illegal but you could drive your dream of evo 7 otherwise official custom clearence of evo 7 will be higher than new evo x at dealer
Old Jun 29, 2016, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have seen the evo in 2f2f in person back in mod few years ago and again locally in san diego. its taged and registered last I saw it...
Old Jun 30, 2016, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't AMS just get an EVO 7? How are they are able to bring one to the US
Old Jul 4, 2016, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by juanmedina
Didn't AMS just get an EVO 7? How are they are able to bring one to the US
If it's anything like Canada you can import the cars, just not legally drive them. There is a shop in Calgary with a rhd Evo X show/shop car. Car cant be driven as it doesn't fall under the 15 year rule yet.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
In the US, I don't think you can own them period. I've heard of cars imported that were not on the list were confiscated and destroyed. That said it still doesn't stop people. Even though the imported cars were registered within a certain state, the feds can still take them away since they are federally illegal.

Quick Reply: Lancer Evo 7 import