Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New evo 8 owner

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New evo 8 owner

Hey guys!!!

So i finally bought an evo8 mr, a car that i have wanted for many years and have finally had the opportunity to buy. I purchased an evo (first aussie owner) and am surprised at just how well these cars drive. Now i know what all the hype is about that i have finally been behind the wheel of one. The car is completely stock, and only has 56000km on the clock. Before i get into some basic modifications, does anybody have any recomendations on where to start?
I have read many posts regarding mods, however i want a few more details on which road to go down. I was thinking of getting a turbo back exhaust, bigger injectors, a fuel pump, and a new filter.
With the car being stock, i know it currently has a ceramic turbo, sports exhaust, and bilstein suspension, however i was told thats how it is from factory??

I am from sydney, and a few recomendations of shops of where to have the car tuned and so forth will also go a long way (was thinking of MRT?)

Anyway, glad to be a part of the forum, any sort of advice for a newby like myself will be greately appreciated!!

Thanks peeps!

Old Jul 11, 2016, 06:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Welcome aboard & congrats

Heres a good thread to comb through

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-dummies.html
Old Jul 11, 2016, 09:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
welcome! evo looks good man!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
grats and welcome to the community bro!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Welcome! Since you are in Australia, check out Hypertune.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Stop parking on the line and we are on good term then.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
My 2 cents would be if you are handy with tools, firstly read the stickies for first time buyers, learn to do all the maint yourself, change out all the fluids with quality oil like OEM, check brake wear and pads, ball joints etc, don’t think mods until you have driven and gotten used to the car as it is. A good set of tyres is a good start. If you want to track book a session at eastern creek and get used to your car at speed before you do any mods. If you have money to burn go to MRT but they do a good job, theres other tuners out there too like Croydon, just do a search for them. Read a lot in here and ask questions, the Americaaaans in here are all great guys and very experienced in tuning, check their signatures for the mods they have and go to the engine and project forums for more examples. Don’t blow money on silly mods without a plan on where and what you want to do with it, have a plan and do your research.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 08:03 PM

I would say replace all your fluids and check for leaks. The easiest maintenance are always over seen.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:18 PM

Thanks guys!! Yea im thinking of replacing all fluids in the transmission/diff. The care looks like it has no leaks. I had a mechanical check done before purchasing a car, and that was probably the best decision i made. Car seems to check out clean all over, however not knowing what fluids they used etc when servicing the car makes me want to run it all over again after i have a few thousand k's done myself.
Any thoughts or suggestions on the tomei exhausts? I want a really nice turbo back, nothing too noisy, but that will give it a nice sound.

Thanks again guys!!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What exhaust do you think he should go with?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 09:56 AM
LHP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome!
Old Aug 6, 2016, 07:25 PM

if you can work on your car yourself you will save a lot and be able to buy more parts. search and find out how much power you want. throw as much supporting mods on to get you there and then tune. a lot of info on here. I joined in 2008 and all I do is look for advise and reviews on parts before I purchase them.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 07:26 PM

oh and welcome to the club champ.