Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX vs X - Street Car

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX vs X - Street Car

Hey guys,

Before i get any S***, i realise there are many threads on this topic, However; i am looking for specific answers from people who have owned/driven both the IX and X in stock form.

I own an Evo IV in New Zealand and my friend recently purchased a Stock Evo X GSR. I have for 10 years now dreamed of owning a IX, but going in his X has lead me to wonder whether the IX is really as good. Im a true Enthusiast who is concerned with driving characteristics of the car and not with power alone. I'm after specific info on the following Questions concerning the Effectiveness of the MIVEC and 4WD systems as a whole:

1. Does the IX come into boost as quickly as the X does (i.e Lag and boost threshold)?
- My mates X has such immediate response, with minimal lag and i love it, so will the intake-only MIVEC of the IX offer the same performance?

2. Will the IX produce oversteer around corners as effectively as the X?
- Once again, my friends X gets sideways around corners if he gives it the boot in 1st gear. I love this oversteer characteristic of his car and want to know whether the IX has more/less oversteer.

I realise that these characteristics are largely dependent of modifications, but i am concerned mostly with the comparison of stock performance, from which i can build up from.

A massive thank you to anyone who can provide good information for me, as this thread could determine which model i choose

Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Boost, yes. Spools at ~2500, full boost by 3000

Oversteer, depends. For the US Market we have a fairly neutral setup, I can't comment on the non-US with AYC. If you get an aftermarket diff OR re-stack the plates in the rear diff it's very easy to induce oversteer on throttle

visibility in a 9 is a lot better than an x, but x has a few more creature comforts. I also hated the seats in the X compared to the 9, way uncomfortable on the back, they force you to hunch over it feels like
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
You need to drive both. Personal preference varies so greatly that other people's opinions are just about worthless when it comes to choosing a car.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
The IX has a more 'raw' feel to it, and I feel you can feel the road better. But it all comes down to personal preference. I know people who had a X, then swapped it for a IX, and then other people who went to a X from a IX. (speaking of USDM versions)
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
In your market the cars have identical drivetrains so little to choose there. As for MIVEC, just more apparatus to give problems as the car ages.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I've driven both, if your a DD type of guy and like the comfort factor then the X, if your an enthusiast that likes smashing mountain passes on the weekend go for the IX, it's also about 150kg lighter, if you whiteline bar it, it'll handle neutral with a hint of over steer coming out of the corners on full boost
Old Jul 14, 2016, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Get a VI RS.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by NJ9MR
The IX has a more 'raw' feel to it, and I feel you can feel the road better. But it all comes down to personal preference. I know people who had a X, then swapped it for a IX, and then other people who went to a X from a IX. (speaking of USDM versions)
I have also heard that the IX has a more RAW feel to it and the X feels a bit less engaging, Which is a large reason why i was headed towards the IX.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
I've driven both, if your a DD type of guy and like the comfort factor then the X, if your an enthusiast that likes smashing mountain passes on the weekend go for the IX, it's also about 150kg lighter, if you whiteline bar it, it'll handle neutral with a hint of over steer coming out of the corners on full boost
Good way of putting it! Im definitely looking for a car thats fun in the hills overall, as i have my IV that i can DD. The guy who built my car also thought the IX was better due to the lightness factor.

Cheers for your input!
Old Jul 14, 2016, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Boost, yes. Spools at ~2500, full boost by 3000

Oversteer, depends. For the US Market we have a fairly neutral setup, I can't comment on the non-US with AYC. If you get an aftermarket diff OR re-stack the plates in the rear diff it's very easy to induce oversteer on throttle

visibility in a 9 is a lot better than an x, but x has a few more creature comforts. I also hated the seats in the X compared to the 9, way uncomfortable on the back, they force you to hunch over it feels like
good to hear that it has a similar response as thats a large part of what i want. I guess the lightness factor would help with this!

My friend has slightly rolled tyres (that are a ****ty brand) which i guess could contribute largely to the fact that it breaks traction so easily!

I personally love the X seats, did you sit in the black buckets with the carbon like pattern around the belt holes?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by nemsin
Get a VI RS.
They feel wayy to similar to my IV, ive been in a V RS and a TME and dont get me wrong, they are much better, but they just don't feel as though they provide the same handling characteristics as the later models.. I got a ride in an evo VIII around the hills and absolutely loved it... Really really want that ACD, Super-AYC and MIVEC. But even the looks and interior feel of the later models is much nicer.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonno99
Bingo. With a rear swaybar upgrade, the IX oversteers if you mash the pedal right at apex.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoryE4
They feel wayy to similar to my IV, ive been in a V RS and a TME and dont get me wrong, they are much better, but they just don't feel as though they provide the same handling characteristics as the later models.. I got a ride in an evo VIII around the hills and absolutely loved it... Really really want that ACD, Super-AYC and MIVEC. But even the looks and interior feel of the later models is much nicer.
Imo, the VI (with its shorter wheel base) rotates much better then the IX. The turning radius on IX is terrible and you really cannot get any type of oversteer unless you go with a 12 plate rear diff (and no just adding sway bars won't do it).

You can suspension tune a car to taste, but getting the understeer completely out of a IX is not easy. I currently have a IX RS and a VI RS, and the VI rotates right meow.

Last edited by nemsin; Jul 15, 2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
^ he's in NZ, so drivetrains are very similar.

why don't you just go test drive a 9 and compare it to your friend's X?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, if its just between a IX & X, I will give my opinions to your questions.

1. Does the IX come into boost as quickly as the X does (i.e Lag and boost threshold)?
A - The X mivec works on both cams, the IX only works on 1. So technically the X should be able to spool 'slightly' faster.

2. Will the IX produce oversteer around corners as effectively as the X?
A- No. The X's s-awc torque vectoring will rotated the X slightly better.

Would I suggest the X over a IX?
A- No.

At the end of the day, buy the car you want.

Quick Reply: Evo IX vs X - Street Car