Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX A/C Problems

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Evo IX A/C Problems

First of all, I must apologize as I know there are quite a few threads regarding this. I'm new to the Evo scene, and just got mine about 2 weeks ago with around 113k miles.

The car drives flawlessly, except the A/C does not work. Which when it's hot outside, or raining, this poses a problem. (The fiance refuses to drive in it as it gets quite warm)

Anyway, so all the electrical as fine as I tested everything. The compressor, and pressure switch are both receiving power. Tried By-passing the Pressure Switch just to rule it out, and no engagement.

So after digging and searching, I found that we do have an issue with our clutches on the compressor getting out of spec. So I attempted tapping it, a bit harder then most videos as mine wouldn't turn on like below:

Tapping it enough times, and it will eventually start moving! But... very slowly. Nothing like the video posted above.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Chrispy0530; Jul 16, 2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Use a feeler gauge to check the gap in the clutch. Does it draw in at all? Also check pressure in the system. If it is over or under charged it will not let the compressor kick on.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Don't have a feeler gauge, but I suspect there may be a gap. If I keep tapping on it hard enough, it eventually starts spinning, just very slowly. This is what puzzles me. You accelerate, and it completely stops.

System is full of pressure I believe. When hooking up a recharge kit to it, it reads max. I do know the read changes when the compressor actually kicks on, but that's part of the issue I'm having in the first place. Won't kick on.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is out of spec. And the clutch can't draw in enough to get a good bite to spin with the engine. And to properly trade pressure you need a set of gauges to hook up. But to me sounds like the clutch. But I would buy a cheap set of feeler gauges first before throwing expensive parts at it.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
113 K miles + Florida = clutch is worn out
Old Jul 17, 2016, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.pitstopauto.com/products/...ncer-co-11161t
Old Jul 17, 2016, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

I got it to work! More like a band-aid fix for now, but it works flawlessly at the moment!

I went ahead and separated the clutch, and removed the shim. I did notice on the clutch side it was a bit rusty and dirty. So I tried cleaning it up as much as I could. Put it all back together ( without the shim ).

Clutch was spinning slow, but was starting to "bite" and speed up. With a few revs it started spinning normally and I now have ice cold A/C!

So I'm assuming driving without a shim is bad, even though the compressor shows no issues. I can order this kit: http://www.discountmitsubishiparts.c.../MR315936.html - and assuming it arrives before this weekend, I can put the shim on.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Your choice on what you want to do. There were many people writing about reviving the A/C by removing the factory shim. When I was faced with the same problem I kept reading and found some of these same people reporting that the clutch had failed again in maybe less than a year. So, I chose to go with a new clutch - obviously a more expensive option.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

I suppose I will go like this then until it fails. Once it fails, will replace the clutch.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
clutch
Old Jul 24, 2016, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

^^ Yep. When it fails/gets out of spec too much, I have a replacement sitting here waiting.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrispy0530
I got it to work! More like a band-aid fix for now, but it works flawlessly at the moment!

I went ahead and separated the clutch, and removed the shim. I did notice on the clutch side it was a bit rusty and dirty. So I tried cleaning it up as much as I could. Put it all back together ( without the shim ).

Clutch was spinning slow, but was starting to "bite" and speed up. With a few revs it started spinning normally and I now have ice cold A/C!

So I'm assuming driving without a shim is bad, even though the compressor shows no issues. I can order this kit: http://www.discountmitsubishiparts.c.../MR315936.html - and assuming it arrives before this weekend, I can put the shim on.

good job. throw the shim in when you get it. clean and lube everything up.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Question. So After about a week of driving it without a shim, I noticed the compressor itself was making a very large knocking sound ( at one point I thought it was my motor! ). So I thought okay, I need to get a shim added on there asap. I went ahead and ordered a used but working A/C compressor ( always good to have a spare ).

I took the shim out of it as well as the clutch ( it was in better condition ), and added it to my current compressor. The knocking noise started for a while, but after about 30-40 seconds it went away. Now what I do notice, is that the compressor is running all the time. If you shut the A/C off, it remains spinning without disengaging.

Any suggestions/tips appreciated.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Update:

Started driving the car for a short distance, and notice a small amount of spark coming out of the compressor and eventually a burn smell. Not sure what is exactly going on here. The shim is on, but I do see hesitation on the A/C compressor when trying to spin now ( A/C no longer blows cold ).

Any ideas?

Update: 4:53pm
Removed the serpentine belt, and the pulley spins, but wobbles and has a slight hesitation. Calling the A/C compressor done for.

Will be ordering this: http://www.pitstopauto.com/products/...ncer-co-11161t

What sucks is I'll have to take the car somewhere to vacuum the entire system then fill it. I know a lot of places love charging high for that. Will be running an A/C delete belt for now till I get the compressor.

Last edited by Chrispy0530; Aug 6, 2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

A clutch kit comes with a coil, a pulley, a bearing, a package of shims - everything that goes on the nose of the compressor and no need to discharge the system. Saving money sometimes doesn't.

Quick Reply: Evo IX A/C Problems