Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 bad ignition? Need new key / ignition?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo 8 bad ignition? Need new key / ignition?

I have a 2003 Evo 8, I am 90% sure my ignition is bad. The symptoms I am having are below.

- Wont crank over sometimes (but you hear the fuel pumps prime).
- Takes 5-15 tries turning the ignition on/off till it cranks/starts.
- I Checked the battery, starter, fuses, and took the steering columns off to zip tie the ignition plate and had 0 luck.

I cleaned my key (had a little bit of gunk / black stuff in the groves) it has been good since (6-8 tries).

I am thinking about going to the dealership and getting a whole new ignition / key set. They told me they have to sync the key and ignition together (has to be done at the dealership).

If my stock ECU has the immobilizer disabled do I need to sync the key / ignition still or can I just install it and turn the key?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Probably the ignition switch is bad which is a separate part from the key, immobilizer and tumbler assembly. Easy to replace and no need to go to the dealer.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ied-fixed.html

Last edited by barneyb; Aug 2, 2016 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Added link
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if your immobilizer is disabled than you should not need a chipped key programed from the dealer. you may need a scantool to see if the computer is getting a start signal from the key ignition. if you have an aftermarket alarm that can cause problems to. if you r gonna fix it yourself you will need a wirediagram and dvom at the least.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by barneyb
Probably the ignition switch is bad which is a separate part from the key, immobilizer and tumbler assembly. Easy to replace and no need to go to the dealer.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ied-fixed.html
I think that issue is something different then mine, I have zip tied the ign plate. I had zero luck in that working. I was thinking about going to the dealer and just picking up the ignition switch and key and installing it myself if that is possible!

Originally Posted by zbestevors
if your immobilizer is disabled than you should not need a chipped key programed from the dealer. you may need a scantool to see if the computer is getting a start signal from the key ignition. if you have an aftermarket alarm that can cause problems to. if you r gonna fix it yourself you will need a wirediagram and dvom at the least.
I do not have a scan tool, if that is needed i am going to have the dealer install it (they called for 1 hour labor so wont be TO BAD). I have no aftermarket alarm on the car either.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Let us know what the dealer finds.

My car was doing this but only on hot days. Since I installed a new ignition switch it has not reoccurred. Time will tell tho. I had a little movement as described above. I glued a paper shim around the bump-out where the screw goes. Still, it just could have been a bad switch - about 30 bux.

Last edited by barneyb; Aug 3, 2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 06:21 PM

wait do not go to the dealer yet. I found a post on here not sure where at. it is somewhat common. check the white plastic piece that is on the ignition with one screw on It. sometimes it moves when the key is in the ignition and if its off centered at all even a little it will do what your talking about. just take out the screw and recenter it. make sure that your wires are not hanging with tension on them. its worth a try man. I read this last night and thought of you champion.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 06:24 PM

the white plastic piece is on the key ignition switch assembly. you have to take down some plastic trim panels to get to it on the steering column. ill send you a link if I find it.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 06:28 PM

I don't know how to copy links sorry

Last edited by zbestevors; Aug 3, 2016 at 09:16 PM. Reason: no link saved
Old Aug 3, 2016, 09:12 PM

type this into the search and you should see some pics of what I was talking about. Intermittent Starting Problems - Mysterious Cause Identified and Fixed