Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Not another questions about oil again..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not another questions about oil again..

first off i do apologize for another question about oil...but i am dying to know but couldnt find an answer..

before i was using rotella t6 5w-40 and i notice my lifter tap tap tap noise is less noticable then at that time when i switch to 20w-50 VALVOLINE VR1 oil. when i started up .. the lifter tap noise was not noticable.. but after warming up , the tap noise is not noticable enought until you lift up the hood you definately can hear it. now my questions is short simple and dontnwant to get flame on by you guys for amothet oil thread.

1.will 20-50 vr1 oils too thick ? and cant get throught the heads fast enought ?
2.does the 20w-50 is thick for stock oil pump ? cause rb26 hate thicker oils
3.im planning to switch to brad penn penn grade 1 10w-40 and see if that help. brad penn is a great oil from what i heard and read from other places
4.does thinner oil such as 0w or 5w help quiet down the lifter noise ?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:09 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
The first number is how the oil behaves when cold and usually the thinner the better for good cold start protection. The second is how the oil behaves when hot. The factory recommendation is for 30 weight, are you running a rebuilt engine with looser tolerances or some other setup that requires thicker oil like a 50 weight?

Ill plug this site, https://bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/ it should answer any questions you could ever have about oil.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Oct 30, 2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as of now.. no ..just a swapped factory block with evo 9 turbo, rc1000 injectors . gsc s2 cams . and soon tune for e54 , and 91 dual map

soem people said run brad penn 10-40 , some confused me and said why not run amsoil full 100% synthetic 5w-30 for stock internals which that make more sense for me..but arizona is one hot state..and i want to run a great all year round oils for now until next year somewhere in summer mid of june and build it to 2.3 then i will run 20w-50.

currently right now amsoil is very hard to come by in arizona and very very hards to get.. while brad penn penn grade 1 is easy to get ..like 15 mins drive to get a case of 10w-40 of BP . I have a infamous lifter ticks but not too noticable at all , and that is good enought to pursuade me to run ams oils 5w-30q
Old Oct 30, 2016, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Oil – you need some.

The secret of no lifter noise is having sparkling clean oil in the engine all of the time since new. In other words, oil changed every 3000 miles using a good filter.

Installing aftermarket cams changes the lifter stroke and often results in lifter noise same as dirty lifter.

Some people have good results using the cleaning procedure outlined in the FSM. Be sure to leak down before starting the engine.