Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Excess Water Drainage

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excess Water Drainage

I just bought my first Evo this morning and I've noticed after driving it when I park it this drain tube drains a decent puddle of water under the car. I started the car and could see the water dripping out. I haven't used the A/C except for when I was at the dealership testing it out. Otherwise I've just been using the heater with the A/C button off, about 400 miles worth of driving today on the freeway.

Is it normal for water to be dripping out so much? Car is an 03 Evo with 98k miles. Attached is a picture of the hose I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Excess Water Drainage-acblock2_zpse4402610.jpg  
Old Nov 24, 2016, 05:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Dont think water should be draining if the AC is not running. Are you sure its just water & not coolant? Does the AC work properly delivering cold air?

Water drainage from the evap drain tube is certainly normal when the AC is in operation & is dependent on the relative humidity
Old Nov 24, 2016, 08:36 AM

I'm not 100% sure it's not coolant. I am 100% sure it's coming from that drain tube though. Are you thinking maybe there is a coolant leak in the heater core and it's draining through that tube? When I felt the drained water with my fingers it wasnt slimy or sticky, it didn't smell, and was clear so I assumed it's just water.

With the cold weather we have in this area right now, its difficult to say for sure but I think the AC works. I'm going to get a drain pan and catch the leaking water and test it for antifreeze. Thank you for the help so far.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 09:06 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by devilsfutbol17
Are you thinking maybe there is a coolant leak in the heater core and it's draining through that tube? When I felt the drained water with my fingers it wasnt slimy or sticky, it didn't smell, and was clear so I assumed it's just water.
Im not a HVAC expert, but just make sure its clear water & not coolant / refrigerant
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Maybe your compressor is on for some reason.

Its normal to see water during ac operation. If the ac wasnt in use its possible that you have a clogged drain tube and you have alot of water built up in the housing, any mildew smell in car? Or any water swooshing noise?

At the dealer its not uncommon to find spider webs restricting the drain.

If it was coolant it will be green, smell sweet and have somewhat of a oil film.

If its ac refrigerant it may also be green if the system has dye in it and that also will be oily but smell like gas somewat.

Take a look at your ac compressor see if the clutches are engaged.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
If you have the HVAC set on defrost, the car cycles the AC compressor because the AC dries the air out so it more effectively defrosts the windows. What you're seeing is normal. You would not see antifreeze there even with a leaking heater core. The heat core would leak into the cabin, or where the heater hoses hook up to it at the firewall.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 01:02 PM

It doesn't smell like mildew in the cabin as far as I can tell and I haven't heard any swishing that may sound like water. I didn't have the radio on for the whole 300 mile trip from the dealership because I wanted to listen for any odd noises since I just bought the car.

I just drove across town to oriellys to get a drain pan (I'm visiting family for the holidays) and when I got back I let the car idle and nothing is coming out of the drain tube now.

I think you nailed it letgetthisdone. I had the car on defrost the entire 300 mile trip and when I parked it thats when we noticed the drip. Then I drove back to my parents another 100 miles and when I stopped it was dripping. I was just trying to get it to drip this morning after my trip across town and it wouldn't, but while it was idling I noticed the AC fan and compressor would kick on every half minute or so for like 15 seconds. That was while I had the HVAC on defrost.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
If you engine coolant isn't disappearing (check the reservoir) and it looks like normal water as you say - not a problem.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 02:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by devilsfutbol17
It doesn't smell like mildew in the cabin as far as I can tell and I haven't heard any swishing that may sound like water. I didn't have the radio on for the whole 300 mile trip from the dealership because I wanted to listen for any odd noises since I just bought the car.

I just drove across town to oriellys to get a drain pan (I'm visiting family for the holidays) and when I got back I let the car idle and nothing is coming out of the drain tube now.

I think you nailed it letgetthisdone. I had the car on defrost the entire 300 mile trip and when I parked it thats when we noticed the drip. Then I drove back to my parents another 100 miles and when I stopped it was dripping. I was just trying to get it to drip this morning after my trip across town and it wouldn't, but while it was idling I noticed the AC fan and compressor would kick on every half minute or so for like 15 seconds. That was while I had the HVAC on defrost.
Well there you go
Old Nov 25, 2016, 08:16 PM

Thank you very much everyone for your help.