Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Compression Results & Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compression Results & Question

Hi Everyone,

I recently performed a compression test on my evo 8. The results were
180, 175, 150, 180 (left to right). I have had some people tell me only 9-10% variation between cylinders is acceptable- then some others say 20-25psi variation isnt too bad and i shouldnt worry

Wanted some opinions as to what you guys think. Rebuild soon?

I do have a spare motor on the side i plan to start building as well but probably wont be completed until around june or july.

Thanks!!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
150 is pretty low if all the others are nearly identical. leakdown test will help pinpoint what's leaking (rings, valves, etc)
Old Dec 12, 2016, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
150 is pretty low if all the others are nearly identical. leakdown test will help pinpoint what's leaking (rings, valves, etc)
Agreed. It's not terrible but that 3rd cylinder will most likely get worse over time. A leakdown test is the way to go here.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 08:54 AM

Yeah i figured it will get worse, i dont drive too hard but i get a few urges once in a while.
Also, i did add a cap full of oil into cyl 3 and it jumped to 180psi. Is there still a chance it could be the valves or does that basically point towards bad rings?

Thanks for the reply guys!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 09:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Improving compression with oil points to rings.

Did you do the test hot or cold?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 09:29 AM

I drove 1.5hrs to my friends shop but car was parked outside in 20degree temp for about 30mins before it was brought it. I do believe it was stil hot.

Might be a dumb question but from your experience how long would you imagine the car could drive safely before seriously needing to fix the cyl #3 compression issue? My friend had said to do it asap since it can cause issues and he is a very reputable mechanic in the area...but i would like others opinions.

My car also hesitates when starting when hot. Cold starts are fine, just hot starts are shakey for the first few seconds then catches back up to 900-1k rpms. Hits completely lean on idle and shakes then goes back to normal. Seemed bizarre to me. Could this be related to the low compression in that one cyl?

Thank you.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AKB_EVO
I drove 1.5hrs to my friends shop but car was parked outside in 20degree temp for about 30mins before it was brought it. I do believe it was stil hot.

Might be a dumb question but from your experience how long would you imagine the car could drive safely before seriously needing to fix the cyl #3 compression issue? My friend had said to do it asap since it can cause issues and he is a very reputable mechanic in the area...but i would like others opinions.

My car also hesitates when starting when hot. Cold starts are fine, just hot starts are shakey for the first few seconds then catches back up to 900-1k rpms. Hits completely lean on idle and shakes then goes back to normal. Seemed bizarre to me. Could this be related to the low compression in that one cyl?

Thank you.
E85 or pump gas?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:01 AM

93 pump
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a issue with the tune. You may need more latency with the injectors. But it could be a host of other things with the tune.

I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:13 AM

I really appreciate the help!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AKB_EVO
I really appreciate the help!
I'm on E85 and it takes centuries for my car to start. It usually dies 3-4 times before I can get it going. You and I may both need more fuel upon ignition
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:19 AM

Yeah it seems like that is the issue, I was avoiding a tune right now with the one cyl that has low comp. Will probably wait for a tune when the replacement motor is complete.

I was stressed thinking i was the only one dealing with this start up issue. Haha.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
One worry would be a bad injector in the low cylinder and that cylinder running lean and knocking.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
One worry would be a bad injector in the low cylinder and that cylinder running lean and knocking.
Would that also cause that random rough idle? And how do I test for that?

Thanks
Old Dec 12, 2016, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by forskin fred
Photos of sparkplugs? That will tell you more than a compression test.
I do not have pics of the spark plugs but all of them looked normal. Cylinder #3's plug wasnt any different from the others.

Quick Reply: Compression Results & Question