Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another ACD pump? Rant...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another ACD pump? Rant...

I have owned by IX MR since 2007 - bought it new from a dealer. It is my DD and I love it (just turned 50,000 miles). At the end of 2011, I got the dreaded three lights, and had the ACD pump replaced under warranty. Fast forward almost 5 years to the day (about 8 weeks ago), the three lights appeared. Has anyone else had to replace their ACD pump twice? Why did Mitsubishi extended the ACD pump warranty for the X but not the IX? Debating whether to replace now that it is out of warranty, as I know I'll have to do it again in another 5 years. Other than the ACD pump, I have never had a problem with the car. I am thinking about writing a letter to Mitsu Cars NA - but I am sure that will be a waste of time. I'd rather rant and complain here...
Old Dec 15, 2016, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I'm trying to avoid that problem by not driving the car much in the winter especially when the roads are covered in salt. I wish someone could make a part that covers it up so it's hidden from the elements. I don't have the skills or tools to relocate it to the trunk. I've contemplated swapping out for a non-acd trans and upgraded front lsd.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe have ER rebuild it?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts
all new pumps will corrode... it will happen as the OE pump has zero corrosion protection..

basically all that you have to do to protect it is

1. when you overhaul it, use lots of heavy grease on contact points between pump sections and between the solenoid and pump body
2. spray on some heavy lubricant that comes in a spray.. so that it gets into finer sections..

it is dead simple but the mitsu pump suppliers were stupid when designing it..
Old Dec 16, 2016, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was in the same boat - I had to shell out $1300 at the dealer for a new one a few years back. I have 130,000 mile on mine, and I've had zero issues with the car except for the ACD pump.

After I installed the new one, I built a simple plastic shield to help protect it from the front:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-elements.html

I also spray the pump down with Boeshield every fall to help fight off corrosion during the winter. Although not an elegant solution, it seems to help.

Agreed - for a component that is exposed to harsh elements it has very poor corrosion protection.

Last edited by DetroitEvoIX; Dec 16, 2016 at 08:10 AM. Reason: added info
Old Dec 18, 2016, 11:21 AM

Detroit - no issues with overheating the pump (given that the shield stops the airflow)?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

The pump motor only comes on periodically. On the JDM Evos, the pump is behind the rear axle of the car, so I highly doubt the pump needs any airflow to keep it cool.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 09:22 AM

Thx!
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by MarkDK1
I have owned by IX MR since 2007 - bought it new from a dealer. It is my DD and I love it (just turned 50,000 miles). At the end of 2011, I got the dreaded three lights, and had the ACD pump replaced under warranty. Fast forward almost 5 years to the day (about 8 weeks ago), the three lights appeared. Has anyone else had to replace their ACD pump twice? Why did Mitsubishi extended the ACD pump warranty for the X but not the IX? Debating whether to replace now that it is out of warranty, as I know I'll have to do it again in another 5 years. Other than the ACD pump, I have never had a problem with the car. I am thinking about writing a letter to Mitsu Cars NA - but I am sure that will be a waste of time. I'd rather rant and complain here...

Do you feel a difference from it being good to when it went bad?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

When my ACD pump went bad I honestly couldn't tell any difference, but I mostly just drive my Evo on the street.

I'm not an expert on how the system works, but I'm assuming with a faulty ACD pump your center differential will never lock (the pump builds pressure in the accumulator and 'locks' the center differential).

There's several explanations of how the system functions on the web:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...everybody.html
Old Dec 19, 2016, 05:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
If I ever cross the bridge of a failed ACD pump, I would like to delete it & get an EVO 8 T-case (simplicity / one of the reasons why I embrace my RS)
Old Dec 19, 2016, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

On paper, I think the ACD T-case is a superior unit compared to the non-ACD T-case.

However, due to the terrible corrosion protection of the ACD pump, I'd agree that that the simpler, non-ACD T-case is the more robust unit (at least for those of us that don't live in dry climates).

@MinusPrevious - since you're in SoCal, chances are your pump will never fail. From what I've seen, nearly all failures are from corrosion due to harsh environmental conditions (moisture / snow / salt).

Last edited by DetroitEvoIX; Dec 19, 2016 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Added info
Old Dec 19, 2016, 06:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
^^^Well Said

In my particular case, My ACD does not see the rain, gravel or snow. Would rather have a robust LSD & a built TC by TRE

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Dec 19, 2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 06:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitEvoIX
When my ACD pump went bad I honestly couldn't tell any difference, but I mostly just drive my Evo on the street.

I'm not an expert on how the system works, but I'm assuming with a faulty ACD pump your center differential will never lock (the pump builds pressure in the accumulator and 'locks' the center differential).

There's several explanations of how the system functions on the web:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...everybody.html
A non functioning ACD creates a huge change in how the car handles.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitEvoIX
On paper, I think the ACD T-case is a superior unit compared to the non-ACD T-case.

However, due to the terrible corrosion protection of the ACD pump, I'd agree that that the simpler, non-ACD T-case is the more robust unit (at least for those of us that don't live in dry climates).

@MinusPrevious - since you're in SoCal, chances are your pump will never fail. From what I've seen, nearly all failures are from corrosion due to harsh environmental conditions (moisture / snow / salt).
it all comes down to salt on the road.. nothing else..

as for performance.. ACD will be felt in all instances where you are driving on the edge of adhesion... ACD cars have less understeer and change direction better.. It really does work all the time

Quick Reply: Another ACD pump? Rant...