Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

High rpm voltage issue looking for help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High rpm voltage issue looking for help

hey guys I was doing some logging and tuning this weekend for my recently new to me car. The car is running 14.0-14.4 volts during cruising speeds and at idle. When I got wot in a pull the voltage is dropping to 12.5 or so above 7200 rpm.

The previous owner did did a battery relocation im not sure if this effects it. It is odd to me that if is chsrging except under extreme loading. I only noticed because the battery and brake light come on until I let out or shift to a lower rpm. The battery is testing good and aside from this area the voltage seems to check out otherwise. The car also starts to creep lean in this same area which verifies it is a true drop. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Could be something as simple as the belt is slipping or is shot, or a weak tensioner.
At the higher rpms the belt slipping would cause the alternator to not be able to produce proper voltage/amps.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvolTweetyBird
Could be something as simple as the belt is slipping or is shot, or a weak tensioner.
At the higher rpms the belt slipping would cause the alternator to not be able to produce proper voltage/amps.
i am thinking the same thing. I found some kind of issue with the pump/hardwire mod done by previous owner. I plan to take it all out and do it over with a new pump and see if that effects it at all. If it doesn't I'll investigate the belt.