Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 TB coolant line fail..now no start

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 TB coolant line fail..now no start

2003 Evo viii 62k miles 100% stock.

Okay so yesterday I was driving down the highway on my way to a baseball game and got a whiff of coolant. So I merged out of the carpool lane and was going to get off on the next exit just to do a inspection. (No previous leaks of any kind) As I began to merge the car stalled on me, so I pushed it off the highway and opened the hood and found the 3/8 TB coolent line had decided to spit on me. Fml.

Now keep in mind temp gauge never raised higher than normal which is amout centered. So I got her towed home and decided to bypass the TB to see the outcome of the night before. As well no signs of coolant mix with oil so fingers are crossed on the head gasket being okay.

Topped off my guild and went to crank her over and got a crank no start. I also notice I don't hear my fuel pump prime but I also have read in the past that it doesn't always prime with key "on" but does with the engine running. Also I one can feel relay 1 click when turned to "on". I have not checked spark yet or pulled my fuel line to see if there is fuel (needed to walk away and get some fresh air haha) I also have hooked up my scanner and found no codes. I also hard wore tested my fuel pump and it does activate.

has anyone had a issue like this. Or any advice. My next step is im going to check compression I think.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Your pump should come on when you're cranking the motor. If you want to check your fuel pump and you have Evoscan a really easy way to do it is just use the Evoscan adjuster and run the pump via your laptop. I'd do the basics first: Check fuel, spark, and compression. Electrical is always a possibility too, have you checked your fuses? Hopefully it is nothing major.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 07:57 PM

Thank you FERP for clarifying the pump kicks on only during cranking and your response.
I went to do a compression test and wouldn't you know coolant in all cylinders. Time to pull the head and replace the gasket and hope that is all the damage that occurred.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Wow, that ended up being almost as bad as it gets. Sorry to hear.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:15 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Hoses pop due to excessive pressure.
Once you've lost coolant, the temp gauge doesn't work properly.
With coolant loss the engine gets very hot very quickly, a mile or so is about the limit.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 07:18 AM

Kicker is i lost my first viii 4 years ago after 3 months of ownership and four years laterals a year long search I found my unicorn and ive had the car less than a month and struck down again. Haha

That makes 100%! Sense on the temp gauge didn't even let that cross my mind. I am own just hoping that the HG was the extent of the damage but I feel that it won't be as easy as a head gasket unfortunately.

Opinions on getting head milled and new hg and see how she seems or are there other steps I should take before hand. Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2017, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Might be worth getting a machinist straight edge and feeler gauges and check the block deck flatness.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 01:36 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Opinions are worthless until you've pulled it apart and measured everything.

Often it's just the head bolts which are loose, as I've said before, they need retorquing from time to time.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 06:37 PM

Rightsaid fred, are you throwing it out there that it's possible the head didn't warp excessively and that cleaning the cylinders out and a re-torque of the head bolts and a compression check is possible? I know that our cast blocks can take a bit more heat than the head can, but I would assume the head would need a resurface. Like you said no telling until it is removed and straight edged.