Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO in trouble, took one for the team

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2004, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: EVO in trouble, took one for the team

Originally posted by JohnnyChimpo

No, I wasn't there, and I'm not trying to start a feud. I never said "it looks alright", I'm only saying that I was hit by someone doing about 30 while I was in my Honda and it totaled the car (the trunk ended up in the back seat...and I mean an Accord sedan that ended up looking like a hatchback). And the drunk guy that hit you said he was doing 70 right? I'm just saying that the damage doesn't look like he hit you doing 30-35 mph. The EVO has 5 mph bumpers just like any car. Your car looks like it was hit at between 5-10 mph. Just my opinion. Did your insurance adjuster already give you a quote?
I'm not the guy who started this post, just another unlucky guy who got rear-ended. I was slowing down doing about 35 mph. The guy who hit me was braking from 70. He estimates he was doing between 60-65 when he hit me. That's 25-30 mph hit. My bumper cover has a nice imprint from his grill but it didn't crack the cover or splinter it.

5mph bumper only means it won't sustain any damage at that speed or lower. As I've seen by looking at the pics posted above, my pics, and those of Ballistic_Evo I can reasonably deduce that our bumpers can take a lot of punishment but not indicate the real damage underneath.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by kevin
you have a superevo.. my wife rear ended me going about 5mph and my whole bumper was ****ed up... i don't see how with that kind of speed you have this minor amount of damage... what's up?
Not really....it's gonna cost me $4500 to fix the damage underneath... I wish it was a Super Evo
Old Apr 3, 2004, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Another reason to have a cell phone. Get on the horn w/ the popo and follow his a**. That's what I would have done.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

The other thing you can do in addition to the criminal actions above is to sue him in court. You have an open and shut case. Get any decent lawyer and you'll hammer this guy.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

sorry to hear that bro
i got hit and run recently too
no plate #
=\
500 deduct
needs whole 1/4 panel

http://www.wtfbracing.com/forum/albu...hp?pic_id=1225
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the input guys, I do plan on pursuing this to the extent of the law can go. Not only did he just rack up felony hit and run, but he may have gone out and done something worse after he flee'd the scene. I don't know if AAA can run the plates but I'm going to find out today. I just want to say, this guy did not attempt to slow down at all. He hit me and I was his brakes, the hit was almost square and low so thats why it doesn't look like I was crushed by a freight train.

Here are the new pics.

Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

I had a guy with no insurance hit me, the same thing happened now he's threatending to kill my parents cuz we switched insurance infoz
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by kimletrim
Wow, I did not know that our bumper covers were that strong. For an impact at 25-30 mph, it is amazing that there was not more damage. As far as insurance, you got the license plate and hopefully you also have the uninsured motorist deductible waiver which will allow you to get your car fixed without paying a deductible provided that your insurer deems this an uninsured motorist claim.
Bumper covers are extremley strong i got rear ended at around 40 the cover had one little scratch (COVER IS FOR SALE BTW PM me) but undeath it, it was a mess...
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
Sorry to say this but welcome to the club. There have been about 4 Evo's rear-ended in the last month, mine included. Both of my frame rails where trashed and my bill is gonna be around 4500. Good luck with getting the cops to track his *** down.

BTW...our bumper covers do seem to hold up VERY well to accidents so if anyone is hit from behind...file a police report no matter how it looks.
I have to agree, bumper covers are extremly tough, DO report the accident no matter what, i had to learn the hard way... i got rear ended at around 40mph, but i wasn't on the brakes so it wasn't bad damage, anyway it didn't look like much didn't file a report or anything. i go home, and happened to look under the car, and man was there some damage... lady was fair enough to pay for the damage though... i lucked out i guess...
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: Re: EVO in trouble, took one for the team

Originally posted by Cirrusly Evolvd

Uhm...were you there? Why do you assume that because it "looks" alright that the guy wasn't going as fast as stated? I was hit on the freeway. I was doing about 35 (slowing for construction) and the guy who hit me said he was clippin along at 70 before he hit his brakes just a second before running into me. Don't make assumptions. I had a $4500 worth of damage done and the rear bumper cover could have been buffed out and you would never have known.
What a coinincidence, I just got home from being a witness to an accident, same scenario, rear ender, hit and run. Not trying to start a war, or pick sides, but that guy this is about was NOT going 35. The one I saw right now was approx. at 33 mph and he rear ended a mercedes , and there was no more trunk, and the exhaust tip was pointing vertically. And to say that the evo is built better than a mercedes...I think not. Based on those pics, I'd agree, 5-10 mph tops.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Mercedes have crumple zones that allow that kind of damage to absorb the impact. Evo's do not. Did you see the pics of the inside of the EVo's trunk. Anything less than at least 25 wouldn't have caused that damage.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mine too...rear ended someone, bumper cover is alright, only some crashes, no dent or anything, but inside is a real freakin mess...messed up my v-bar and all
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by SilverEvo8owner
Mercedes have crumple zones that allow that kind of damage to absorb the impact. Evo's do not. Did you see the pics of the inside of the EVo's trunk. Anything less than at least 25 wouldn't have caused that damage.
So what... its a matter of physics, my wife's car got backed into at a whoppin 2 mph, and the front bumper got bented and tweaked and inch away from the frame. I'm just defending the guy who got jumped on for bringing this up, and if it was night and he only saw headlights in the rear view, you can honestly say you can accuratley judge how fast someone is going, and just because he didn't skid doesn't mean he didn't try to slow down, but since this really isn't helping the thread, i'm going to quit arguing, if it makes ya'll feel better... you're right.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jaymz916

So what... its a matter of physics, my wife's car got backed into at a whoppin 2 mph, and the front bumper got bented and tweaked and inch away from the frame. I'm just defending the guy who got jumped on for bringing this up, and if it was night and he only saw headlights in the rear view, you can honestly say you can accuratley judge how fast someone is going, and just because he didn't skid doesn't mean he didn't try to slow down, but since this really isn't helping the thread, i'm going to quit arguing, if it makes ya'll feel better... you're right.
I wasn't arguing. Just sayin that Mercedes have crumple zones

There are too many variables to judge how fast he was going by using other cars as an example, because all cars are built differently. Anyway, that's not important. The guy hit him, then proceeded to leave. That's what matters.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn...Everyone has an opinion on how fast this guy was going. What makes the difference? If he was going 2 mph or 100 mph. None of you were there,you dont know what the exact circumstances were. There are many variables that could effect the damage outcome, including speed. Angle he got hit at, weather he was on the brakes or not, etc...etc... Just because the bumper cover is not mess up does not mean anything. Look at the pics of the frame rails and trunk pan, pretty messed up if you ask me. That could have easily been a 25 to 30 mph collision.