Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car cutting out/grounding issue

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car cutting out/grounding issue

Coming to the forums for some advice.

I own a 2006 Mitsubishi Evo 9.
The car has been running fine, recently having an ABS light come on for what I can only believe to be a speed sensor (will be taking a look come this weekend).

Anyway this morning I go to drive the car to work and I notice my radio keeps shutting on and off. I pull over to restart the car. When I go to crank it over, nothing happens. Lights are very dim. I go outside and pop my trunk (battery in trunk) and hood. I wiggle some wires and loosen and tighten the terminals on the battery. Go under the hood to check the chassis grounds. Both on the left and right side seem tight, but the one on the intake manifold to ground seems loose. I try to start the car and it started up fine. Limp it to work (not very far) and on the way it's cutting out and backfiring at random times. I parked the car at work. I pull the wire off to see it's basically falling out of the krimp. Would this cause an issue like this? I put the key to the on position (not running) to see if the lights would illuminate or not. And they did. Would eliminating the ground let this happen?

I'm guessing the issue has to do with the battery terminals or grounding wires? But I'm not sure.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
There's been cases where the main engine ground was left off its connection after a clutch job. The main engine ground eyelet goes under a transmission bolt. When this is the case and the car is started, all the starter current going back to the battery uses the firewall ground and it can melt.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ground is connected to the top of the trans, in one of the bolts. I also fixed the chassis ground to no avail. Car decides to start whenever it wants. When trying to jump start it, the positive terminal sparked. I'm guessing there is a short somewhere along the positive cable running underneath the car? Any input would be awesome