Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Options for wrecked 05 Evo...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Options for wrecked 05 Evo...

I have an opportunity to buy an 05 with front damage and would like to hear from you guys what my options are for parts. Used front parts are made of unobtainium so besides that what are you suggestions? I'm not up on my body kits but if I went that route I'd like to do it right (quality and look).

What do you think? If I could get away with putting stock Lancer parts on the front and be sleeper I would, but doesn't seem doable with those pesky flared fenders in the back.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
How severe is the front end damage, pics? Also, has it been checked, by a shop, for frame damage.

If its just front fender/radiator support beam damage, that can be replaced. Or you could have it tubed.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by nemsin
How severe is the front end damage, pics? Also, has it been checked, by a shop, for frame damage.

If its just front fender/radiator support beam damage, that can be replaced. Or you could have it tubed.
Right front, hit above the frame rail but got into the apron enough to pull the frame rail up a little bit. The rail is probably fixable but might need to be replaced. Radiator, condenser, intercooler, headlight, bumper, hood, fender and both airbags. I still need to pull the radiator assy out away from the engine to see if anything is damaged there too. Its a fairly hard hit but still rolls straight with no suspension damage. It would be cheap with lots of room to work with.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
The Evo front end is completely modular. Once you remove the drivetrain out of the engine bay everything is easily accessible to repair.

If you post up pictures of the front end I can give you the replacement part numbers for the radiator support, the frame rail for the passenger side, and other part numbers as needed. It would be faster, cheaper, and easier to repair the Evo with new OEM parts rather than trying to cut corners.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by deylag
The Evo front end is completely modular. Once you remove the drivetrain out of the engine bay everything is easily accessible to repair.

If you post up pictures of the front end I can give you the replacement part numbers for the radiator support, the frame rail for the passenger side, and other part numbers as needed. It would be faster, cheaper, and easier to repair the Evo with new OEM parts rather than trying to cut corners.
I appreciate the offer but I'm in the used parts business so sourcing parts isn't the issue. I know that front EVO used parts are hard to find, which goes along with your new parts comment, and I've rebuilt a fair amount of vehicles in the past and know my way around repairs. What I don't know is EVO's. Its one of those times when you wonder if building it back to OEM spec is the way to go over putting a nice body kit on. The more I look around on the internet the more I like the original look...
Old Jun 7, 2017, 02:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by e9coupe
I appreciate the offer but I'm in the used parts business so sourcing parts isn't the issue. I know that front EVO used parts are hard to find, which goes along with your new parts comment, and I've rebuilt a fair amount of vehicles in the past and know my way around repairs. What I don't know is EVO's. Its one of those times when you wonder if building it back to OEM spec is the way to go over putting a nice body kit on. The more I look around on the internet the more I like the original look...
Building it back to oem spec is absolutely the way to go. If you plan on flipping it, you're better off repairing it with oem parts. People will pay a lot more for Evo's that still look like an evo. The aftermarket body kit and lancer parts option will not help with resale value at all, even if done cleanly.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

If you are going OEM, get the 06 Evo 9 bumper and SE lower lip. Direct fit, generally preferred for its looks.

Also, if you need to replace the radiator, get the 4/5/6 style radiator, better coolant tube placement http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/K...o-8-and-9.html

Last edited by nemsin; Jun 7, 2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 04:45 PM

Awesome info guys, I think you just helped me decide. Still not convinced I need another project but if I get it I'll check back in. Thanks for your input!

Dan
Old Jun 7, 2017, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Also, depending on the price, you could potentially part it out to make a profit.