Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I'm getting paranoid...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2004, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I'm getting paranoid...

Hi all,
I just need to get an opinion. Maybe this happened to one of you before.. I have about 14,500 miles on the car, no problems at all. Three days ago, anytime I was driving over small bumbs, I heard a strong "banging" noise from the front left side (like a suspension noise). If it was a bigger bump the noise was stronger.... Immediately, I was at my dealer Friday morning. The mechanic drove the car, he heard the noise but he couldn't find anything wrong. I went to see underneath the car with him and everything looked ok. We drove the car 3 more times to try to figure out where the noise was coming from.. Still couldn't find anything wrong. After he tightened the lower control arm bolts, the sway bar bolts and put some silicone, the car stopped making the noise. 2 hours later,I left the dealer (by the way, they always treat me nice, they didn't charge me for anything. I read many complaints about Mitsu dealers. No problems with mine...Cherry Hill Mitsubishi, NJ). The problem is, a day later, the car started making the noise again, but now only when I make a right turn and hit a bump at the same time. When I go straight it doesn't do anything. I have to go back to the dealer this week, but I was wondering if you have any ideas. It drives me crazy. The mechanic that looked at it is pretty good... and that worries me. I hate when they can't find anything wrong... Any opinions please?
Old Apr 4, 2004, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Mine makes the noise when I go over bumps slowly.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 10:21 AM

did you check it out?
Old Apr 4, 2004, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Mine just started as well, 2 days ago... same exact symtops.
(16,000 miles)
It must be an evil Mitsu plot, to drive us friggin nutz >=/
Old Apr 4, 2004, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Mine made the same noise, but stoped when I put in aftermarket springs.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

I think it's something to do the the shock and spring. Seems like there is a gap somewhere that's tapping every time the spring compresses.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Ive always had this weird noise from my evo not so much like a thud but a rubbing,only when I make a right turn mostly...

Funny because when I would get my friend to try to hear the noise it would go away...

Well when me and my buddy started to install my Tanabe springs he noticed a shiny area between the front drivers side lower arm and sway bar ....Totally tell it was rubbing.....

I instantly knew that was the source of the noise,whats was cool is installing the springs made everything compress and got the sway bar away from the arm....thats why if I added extra weight(passenger) the sound would go away...

Another noise that you should look at is if you have an after market exhaust look at the support dounts for the 4WD drive shaft under the car...There is one that comes really close to the pipe and hits once in awhile making a right turn,all I did was put a piece of rubber house between the support and exhaust untill I get it checked out no big deal but love finding the sources of all these darn noises ...

Now no more noises and very happy....take a look at those points.....Hope it helps
Old Apr 4, 2004, 11:50 AM

thank you all. This is good info..
DocMortal, did you just change the springs? Is there any major difference on the ride after you did that?
Old Apr 4, 2004, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Ride is much better with the TANABE's..granted it is stiffer then stock but in my opinion the car feels much better...

Its a perfect drop not too low.. 1.5 front 1.0 rear so there still a gap for more suspension travel.......I dont like the too low look....
Old Apr 4, 2004, 08:57 PM

My EVO has 6300 and the "clunk" has been around on and off since about 3000 miles. I took it to shi tts-ooh and got the usual "everything checks out we dont hear it" routine. I have a lift in my garage and strangely enough when I lift the car and lower down the noise will disappear for weeks. This is definitely own of the biggest pain-in-the-*** machines ever. I have the tranny/throw-out-bearing,clutch noise since about 500 miles.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 09:21 PM

it seems that it's going to be very f***g interesting next time I go to the dealer.....if they can't fix it and the noise goes on, I will most likely change the whole system....
thanks for the input...
Old Apr 7, 2004, 02:07 PM

I have the same problem on mine (3200 miles); banging noise going slowly over bumps or on turn-in. It started last week after I had the tires changed from winter to summer.

I guess it's something to do with fully extending the shocks/springs when it's up on the jack? It seems to be getting better now - maybe it just needs a few miles to settle things down again?

If it doesn't go away I'll swing by the dealer and get him to check things out.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 02:13 PM
choad

Here is more info..
Old Apr 7, 2004, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

yeah in the other thread the last guy might be right..in lhd evo's the noise is on the left when you make a right turn and in rhd evo's the noise is on the right when you make a left hand turn... seems to be something with the setup up around the driver like the steering links or something
Old Apr 7, 2004, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Mine makes that same noise when I hit small animals.

j/p