Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Throttle body shaft seals question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Well got my seals in the mail new biss screw and seal wish me luck I'll be dpi.g it Saturday hopefully it won't take all day lol
Old Jun 29, 2017, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Goodness
Well got my seals in the mail new biss screw and seal wish me luck I'll be dpi.g it Saturday hopefully it won't take all day lol
took me about 4 hours, 2 of which were searching for the tiniest pliers I could find for that damn C clip, you should be fine!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 195 Likes on 183 Posts
When you take out the seals, pay attention to which side faces out. I watched videos and i think they installed the new seals backwards. Also, go ahead and throw your new seals in the freezer to shrink them so when you're ready to pop them in, it will slide in easier.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

And when you take off your throttlebody plate, do not scrape off the black coating. It is there to make a fomplete seal. If you scrape it off, your idle will be messed up.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
And when you take off your throttlebody plate, do not scrape off the black coating. It is there to make a fomplete seal. If you scrape it off, your idle will be messed up.
very good tip, I forgot to mention it
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Lol yup I just read a full thread on that black stuff to leave it alone should I use dialectic grease on the shaft itself like on the inside of the seals also c clip pliers are not an issue I use multiple sizes of them everyday at work so I grabbed a nice small set from work...
Also how long should freeze them for and is there any harm in doing it ?
I don't think freezing them to long will hurt anything but hey I could be wrong thanks for all the suggestions and help guys
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Lol yup I just read a full thread on that black stuff to leave it alone should I use dialectic grease on the shaft itself like on the inside of the seals also c clip pliers are not an issue I use multiple sizes of them everyday at work so I grabbed a nice small set from work...
I don't think freezing them to long will hurt anything but hey I could be wrong thanks for all the suggestions and help guys
I used the grease on the seals themselves and on the space where they go in on the throttle body. I didn't freeze them and has no trouble puting them in but those were oem seals. Don't forget the blue loctite!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

I bought and used synthetic grease. I save the dielectric grease for spark plugs and boot.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
I used the grease on the seals themselves and on the space where they go in on the throttle body. I didn't freeze them and has no trouble puting them in but those were oem seals. Don't forget the blue loctite!
+1 on loctite.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Yup already picked up the loctite blue stuff last night hoping to start it early tomorrow and bust it out in a couple of hours here's a dumb question can the seals only go I so far like is there a stopper so that can't go all the way thru.
And to make sure they end up in the right spot or is it an eyeball it sort of thing ?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Its easy. took me 1 hour.

Need snap ring pliers. Make sure you lube up the seals so they don't tear.

Milspec has high pressure ones. That's what I used.

Also I didn't drain coolant. Remove the coolant lines and stuff some spark plugs in them to hold back coolant.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Yup already picked up the loctite blue stuff last night hoping to start it early tomorrow and bust it out in a couple of hours here's a dumb question can the seals only go I so far like is there a stopper so that can't go all the way thru.
And to make sure they end up in the right spot or is it an eyeball it sort of thing ?
I think it has to go all the way in because you have to put the clip and shaft in without it getting stuck. Did you pay attention to which side is the outside?

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Jun 30, 2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Also I didn't drain coolant. Remove the coolant lines and stuff some spark plugs in them to hold back coolant.
Good idea! I'll probably use 1/2" drive extensions next time I do this again.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

yes they can only go so far
Old Jul 1, 2017, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

So just an update I got it all put my old seals just slid right out i didn't have to pry then loose inken the where kind of snug but nothing bad now to the crappy part first of my c-clip went flying across the room so had to go buy a new one of those thank goodness my hardware store had an that small...

Got the new seal in on the side with the spring for the throttle cable that's the side that was leaking like a **** but the other side no bueno lol it tweaked on the way in so I was lucky the old seal I took out on that side was still perfectly fine so I put it back in...

No leaks I boost tested it to 25psi and no leaks but I ordered another set of seals anyway it's ocd driving me nuts knowing that old seal is still in there so I'll be doing it next weekend

Quick Reply: Throttle body shaft seals question