Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Throttle body shaft seals question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 195 Likes on 183 Posts
How did you damage the new seal? Hammered it on one side?

Originally Posted by Evo_Goodness
So just an update I got it all put my old seals just slid right out i didn't have to pry then loose inken the where kind of snug but nothing bad now to the crappy part first of my c-clip went flying across the room so had to go buy a new one of those thank goodness my hardware store had an that small...

Got the new seal in on the side with the spring for the throttle cable that's the side that was leaking like a **** but the other side no bueno lol it tweaked on the way in so I was lucky the old seal I took out on that side was still perfectly fine so I put it back in...

No leaks I boost tested it to 25psi and no leaks but I ordered another set of seals anyway it's ocd driving me nuts knowing that old seal is still in there so I'll be doing it next weekend
Old Jul 2, 2017, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
How did you damage the new seal? Hammered it on one side?

I used a flat washer on it so jihad a flat surface then a screw driver thru the hole and then a rubber mallet and gave it a couple of taps and sure enough 1 side went in first it didn't go down evenly I'm just glad the seal on the tps side wasn't leaking and it come out perfect.

Like I didn't have to pry at it at all but knowing I have one old seal in there isn't going to fly for me so I ordered another set of them
Old Jul 2, 2017, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Since this side has that plastic washer, if you used extra grease, it should seal or reduce any leaks. Did you place the non-beveled side on outside? Or did you put it on inside like a video on youtube?

I used a flat washer on it so jihad a flat surface then a screw driver thru the hole and then a rubber mallet and gave it a couple of taps and sure enough 1 side went in first it didn't go down evenly I'm just glad the seal on the tps side wasn't leaking and it come out perfect.

Like I didn't have to pry at it at all but knowing I have one old seal in there isn't going to fly for me so I ordered another set of them
Old Jul 3, 2017, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Since this side has that plastic washer, if you used extra grease, it should seal or reduce any leaks. Did you place the non-beveled side on outside? Or did you put it on inside like a video on youtube?
No I did not follow the YouTube video I put the new ones in the same way the old ones came out the metal ring to the outside at least that's how my old ones in there where they looked exactly the same just my works ones the o ring ones obviously thicker...
But my boost leak held to 30psi and I know just by driving it it's better when I let off the gas now my throttle plate doesn't stick like it used to when I'm in gear I had the issue of my injectors not stop firing ...
This was while in gear btw my WB would read 12.3 letting off the gas in gear now it just reads --- the way it should
Old Jul 3, 2017, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

No I did not follow the YouTube video I put the new ones in the same way the old ones came out the metal ring to the outside at least that's how my old ones in there where they looked exactly the same just my works ones the o ring ones obviously thicker...
But my boost leak held to 30psi and I know just by driving it it's better when I let off the gas now my throttle plate doesn't stick like it used to when I'm in gear I had the issue of my injectors not stop firing ...
This was while in gear btw my WB would read 12.3 letting off the gas in gear now it just reads --- the way it should
Perfect. I knew the youtube video put his on backwards. Lol
I think you're fine until you get the leak again. I would wait until then to replace the seals.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
What is the best tool to use to get the new seals back in? I know Abby from mil spec posted about making a tool, unfortunately I don't have access to Cnc machines or anything.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Welcome2GoodBur
What is the best tool to use to get the new seals back in? I know Abby from mil spec posted about making a tool, unfortunately I don't have access to Cnc machines or anything.
I put a 11mm Socket on the end and hammered carefully making sure it goes in even
Old Jul 13, 2017, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Welcome2GoodBur
What helps is throwing the seals in freezer overnight to shrink it. I can't recall which side was tougher to install but take one out at a time and leave other in freezer until you're ready to install. You can use screwdriver (if you have one small enough to fit) and mallet to tap it in place. Just make sure you put the seal with metal on side with screwdriver (outside) and tap it in with seal going in equally (flat). Do this quickas it will expand as it warms up. If it doesn't go in after a minute, swap with the other seal in freezer and tap harder next attempt.

If you don't have a small screwdriver, get a small washer and spacer that fits and use the larger screwdriver. The washer should fit and touch the outter ring of the seal (where the friction is) for best results since it applies the tapping energy to where it is needed.

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Jul 13, 2017 at 05:39 AM.