Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hard to get my IX MR into first and reverse...clutch issue?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to get my IX MR into first and reverse...clutch issue?

Clutch issue resolved!

Last edited by AllDayAnthony; Aug 27, 2021 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Thread can be deleted, issues were resolved
Old Jun 30, 2017, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
If it creeps the clutch is not completely disengaging. But why, dunno. I drove my stock clutch to 90K and the only symptom of a failed clutch was a slip in 5th gear at WOT. I recently had the transmission out and replaced the clutch disc again even though the one in it still looked like new so call that my third clutch and I have never had to adjust the clutch.

So maybe try bleeding and checking for brake fluid in the slave boot. if that doesn't help then maybe a new slave. A slave cylinder is petty easy to replace and bleed. One thing I noticed on the new looking clutch disc I replaced is that the springs were loose and rattled. Sometimes the springs come out and can get caught in the mechanism.

The trouble with diagnosing clutches is that the cause often doesn't become apparent until the parts are on the work bench.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AllDayAnthony
Hey guys!

Just recently my 9 MR has been resisting going into first gear and reverse at a complete stop. Even with the car fully warmed up, it puts up more resistance than the normal "notchy" feel.

The first sign was that the car would ever so slightly inch forward when putting it into first gear (or inch backward in reverse). I'm talking an inch or possibly less. Probably not noticeable to anyone else but I have OCD issues.

I did a clutch pedal adjustment, in which it did help with a smoother clutch feel and shifting while moving. However, it's only at a complete stop that I'm noticing it resisting me. I did noticed when I go from second to first or second to reverse, it goes right in like butter etc.

My Evo has 78k miles on the stock clutch. No clutch slipping while driving or on WOT in higher RPMs. I haven't been driving the car for the last week because I don't want to possibly cause any harm. Is my clutch on its way out, or do I need to bleed the clutch/replace the master cylinder? Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!
I had the same symptoms with and it was the clutch that was done.. I did the the clutch pedal adjustment which helped for a few.. It happened at 73k with my daily driven 9 MR with the 6 speed which hasn't shown any issues.. I went with a ACT Street/strip Clutch and Flywheel which works fine for being in NYC...