Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Thanks Buschur!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2004, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I will run ESP then as that is what I am signed up for. I may change it to SM which is where you say I technically belong for the next event. I'll just keep buying stuff for my car and moving up a class after each event.

I doubt I go to the one on the 17th. Don't know if I can handle 2 days in a row. It is definately a possibilty though.

Are you planning on attending both events?

-Doug
Old Apr 5, 2004, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

hey what color is your evo? we need to get all the cincy members together!
Old Apr 5, 2004, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Oops...forgot to mention that the cam swaps aren't allowed either. There was an Evo that ran at Scarlet that has your almost exact setup...except he has 272/272's and he ran ESP. He was the black Evo that placed second. If you want to run for points...4-5 events and run in Cen-div series...then you may want to jump into SM. Otherwise you'll be ok running a few events in ESP.

I haven't decided if I'm running both days. I think I probably will. I think I will run for points in both the SCCA an CSCC this year if possible. If I have the time I may do some Cen-Div races also for the fun of it
Old Apr 5, 2004, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

It is black...

I live in the East Gate area
Old Apr 5, 2004, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Mine is silver. I'm also on the east side in Anderson.
A bunch of local Evo owners got together at the last autox at Scarlet Oaks.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

broeli,

Well, I guess I will go straight to SM then. I am not sure how many events I will do but I might as well be in the correct class. I assume that the more modified the class the harder it is to get points. I don't really care about that as I am just doing it for fun.

Since you are on the East side as well we should get together sometime.

I did go to scarlet Oaks for the last autocross. I did not run, I just went to watch. It was cold and snowing so I just stayed for a couple hours and then left. I did see a bunch of Evo guys running in the ESP.

-Doug
Old Apr 6, 2004, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Ok - i just tried to read the classification rules. It looks like a manual boost controller is allowed in ESP. However electronic or computer controled boost controlers are not. So I think I am ok on that point.

The cams I am not so sure of. I did not read where they are not allowed but I did not read where they are allowed. So I am not sure about that one. I also did not see them mentioned in SM either.

thoughts?

-Doug
Old Apr 6, 2004, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Screw it.. it is to confusing... now i think I read where blow off valve changes are not permetted in ESP. I am just goign to go to SM to be safe.

-Doug
Old Apr 6, 2004, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

any kind of boost controller is illegal in ESP. Cams are not allow neither. Some ppls don't care in local events but some do. it really depends on how competative you are. But if you planning to run bigger event or national, you will get busted.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

kevo,

OK - so ESP is out... I am goign to register under SM. But I am not even sure that is correct now.

thanks,
-Doug
Old Apr 6, 2004, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Hey chicken, my evo will be my daily driver with the 272 cams. I think the 480 is the bigger turbo because it is supposed to give 480hp. Im looknig for 400 hp to the wheels so i think a turbo might be too much.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

OK - so ESP is out... I am goign to register under SM. But I am not even sure that is correct now
Your Evo would be perfectly legal in SM. I will probably run SM next year. Locally you will have just as hood a chance in SM as you would in ESP. They top times are usually similar.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

broeli,

thanks- I am going with SM. I have only driven in an autocross twice so I am not that sure I will be all that competitive anyway. If I am then cool, but if not that's cool too. It's all about having fun. I really just want to enjoy driving my car.

Mistasparkle,

I am sure you can get 400 HP to the wheels no problem with the small Buschur turbo and Stage 4 and it will spool almost as quickly as the stock turbo. The 272 cams will give you a huge boost on the top end (above 5500 rpm's). However they will make the idle lumpy. I opted for a 264 intake and a 272 exhaust. To try and keep the idle a little more smooth as well as try and get some of the benefits of the 272 exhaust. My idle is a little rough with that set up and I assume it would be much worse with straight 272 cams. My car already feels like it wants to die every now and then when I am stopped at a light.

I suggest you talk to David and get his opinion. For an everyday driver car I bet you they will not recommend 272's. But that all depends on what you want to do with you car. If you are going to run 1/4 miles with it then you will benefit from the 272, and will just have to live with the idle.

The only issue with the smaller Buschur turbo is cost. The extra HP gained from adding the small turbo onto Stage 4 is not that much when you factor in the cost of the turbo. I think the turbo is like $2,500 and will give you about 30-40 hp above Stage 4.

check all this out with David - he truly is the man and will be able to give you more exact numbers.

-Doug
Old Apr 6, 2004, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

You're in SM. The cams and the boost control do it for sure.

Good news about SM. You can go crazy with the drivetrain. It's unlimited as long as you stick with the 4G63 engine -- or indeed, with any Mitsu engine. Bore it, stroke it, port it, run unobtainium internals at 70 psi boost, drive-by-wire, traction control, launch control, convert it to RWD, put in a dogbox transmission with paddle shift controls, titanium driveshaft and axles, all legal in SM.

Brakes are unlimited too. Have a set of F1 brakes lying around? Put them on the Evo. It's legal. As long as you've got an active brake on each wheel and a functional parking brake.

Suspension is unlimited as long as you use the stock mounting points. You want an electronic fully adjustable suspension with buttons on the steering wheel to change your camber, ride height, spring preload, and damper strength, all on the fly? Legal.

So what exactly are the limitations in SM? What is the Street in Street Modified? Well, the frame/chassis can't be modified or strengthened, except for very limited exceptions, like a roll cage or strut tower braces. The body must remain stock except for front and rear fascias, hood, and front fenders. The interior can't be stripped; a full stock interior must be present, except that you may replace the front seats and the steering wheel, and you may remove the rear seat. And you have to run on DOT-legal tires.

Have fun in SM.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

jbrennen,
Wow - I had no idea...

Thanks for the info. I guess there will be some pretty heavily modified cars in this catagory. At least now I know that I still have plenty of room for changes without having to change classes again.

-Doug

Quick Reply: Thanks Buschur!!!!!!