Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need some help diagnosing an issue.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need some help diagnosing an issue.

Hello everyone, and I'll start with thank you for any help people can provide here.

Situation is this:

I have a 2005 GSR, about 175k miles on it.

When you depress the clutch pedal, there is a squealing/ticking noise that seems tied to RPM, and the RPM drops. This can sometimes result in a stall.

I did some digging and diagnostics, the clutch pedal switch is making contact, and does not seem to be the issue, adjusting the clutch engagement, did nothing other than lift the friction point in the pedal travel. The crank shaft end play is about 0.030-0.035", I am unsure if that is acceptable or unacceptable I have a feeling unacceptable. With the serp. belt taken off some of the "squealing" goes away, but the clicking/rubbing sound is still there, only with the clutch depressed, seems to be the balancer on the timing cover.

So far, I replaced the clutch, (Exedy Stage 1, and Fidanza flywheel,) thinking this was a TOB issue, as the clutch seemed to be dragging, and shifting could get a little hard too, almost like it was sticking a little. Upon re-installation, the noise and RPM drop are still there.

The only modifications to the car are, mild cams (unknown mfg, came with car,)Tuned by CBRD (and it ran fine for the last 25k miles after tune.) And that is about it. Idle is set a little over 1k rpm at idle, at temperature, and idles great until you touch the clutch.

There is no engine light related to this, just an evap. purge code that has been present for a couple of years on and off.

So any thoughts, I would love to hear, and any further clarification on other diagnostics I may have forgotten about or need to do, let me know.

Thanks again.

EDIT: changed the endplay number to reflect after actually pulling it out before pushing in.

Last edited by Zer0_13; Aug 2, 2017 at 03:46 PM. Reason: endplay number
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yikes......been through this a few times. My gut tells me your thrust bearings may have crapped the bed. Take the oil pan down and inspect them before you drive or run it anymore. You can ruin a block if they get too bad. If they are toast the only proper way to fix the issue (assuming your block is usable) is to disassemble the engine and completely clean all oil passages and replace oil cooler. Basically clean anything that gets engine oil. Check your oil pump. My friend thought he could just pop new thrust bearings in and be fine.......3 builds later I think he got it right. You are right at the limit. 0.040 is limit, if it is pulling down your RPM the thrust washer is probably thin on one side and wedging itself between the crank and maincap. Good luck!!!!!!
Old Aug 6, 2017, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Thrust bearing service end play limit is 0.40 mm or 0.016 inches.