Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AC system issue

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC system issue

I'm having issue with my ac. So when I take it out from parking in my garage, the AC works like it should, blows cold while driving. But after I drive to lets say Walmart and let it park out in the sun for a little, come back from shopping and now it will blow warm. Its like my compressor not kicking on. Any of you guys have this issue? Evo9 MR
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
My 1st step as a ac certified tech would be.
Recover,vaccum,recharge sytstem and add ac dye.

Check pressures with guages high and low side.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I agree, start trouble shooting with the correct charge. However, the use by date on the compressor clutch is 100K.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mouaboost
I'm having issue with my ac. So when I take it out from parking in my garage, the AC works like it should, blows cold while driving. But after I drive to lets say Walmart and let it park out in the sun for a little, come back from shopping and now it will blow warm. Its like my compressor not kicking on. Any of you guys have this issue? Evo9 MR
Possible compressor clutch gap issue after engaging for a while, I had the same issue on my IX.. I bought the shim kit from Mitsu and installed the thinnest shim... part #MR315936
The following users liked this post:
mouaboost (Aug 11, 2017)
Old Aug 9, 2017, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
maybe time for new ac condenser.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it randomly works, it sounds like you're just low on refrigerant. They have a low pressure sensor that keeps the compressor from running and ruining it.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same issue on my Evo. It's likely the gap on the compressor clutch has gotten too big from wear over time. Mitsubishi sells a compressor shim kit (MR315936) for about $20. There's a tolerance on this gap that can be checked easily with a feeler gauge.

You can search for "A/C clutch shim" and find a few how-to's here. It's very easy. Take out the plastic inner wheel well, and pop of the A/C clutch and install a new shim. It literally takes about an hour.

If the A/C works intermittently, this is likely the issue. You don't want to 'overcharge' your refrigerant.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oops 4g63_16g ... I overlooked your post. Nonetheless, great advice
The following users liked this post:
4g63 16g (Sep 17, 2017)
Old Sep 7, 2017, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Re shimming a worn out clutch may get it working again for a short time but it isn't a long term fix. Price a new clutch from Mitsubishi and compare that price to the price of an Amazon or Ebay compressor and find they are approximately the same. So why mess with the clutch when an entire compressor is available with a clutch for the same money?

There's several reasons why just replacing the clutch is the better idea. First, no need to open the system to possible contamination. The worst contamination is the moisture in the air. Putting the system under vacuum removes moisture but not before chemical in the dryer is consumed. Second, I don't trust the quality of the after market compressors. I read of people who went this route being on their third or forth compressor. If a compressor breaks internally and sheds metal particles into the A/C plumbing then the best fix is to replace everything - very expensive.

Edit: There's one other thing I forgot to mention - for some reason many replacement compressors come containing the full amount of oil the system should contain. The correct compressor installation method is to measure the amount of oil in the old compressor and add that amount to the system. Just installing a compressor full of oil results in excess oil and poor cooling.

Last edited by barneyb; Sep 8, 2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I had the same issue. I made a thread on it last year:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-problems.html

I bought a replacement A/C Compressor from PitStopAuto. To this day, A/C is working like a champ.