Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Jedinite and others, track prowess of Evo. . .

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2004, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny you say that, because I am planning to get an Estoril Blue M Coupe to replace the Evo in a year or two.

I'm keeping it easy right now, since I would much rather save up more money and concentrate on school at the same time (I'm 19, btw).

The biggest insult for the M Coupe is saying it looks like a *****
Old Apr 6, 2004, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by iodine23
frayed: When were you at TWS? I was there for the Driver's Edge event on March 6-7. My first track day, so I don't know if I'm too qualified to discuss the Evo's merits and demerits of being a track car.

I do know that it was very forgiving and easy to drive fast, though. My instructor claims that I was saved by my R-comp Victoracers once or twice, but being as it was also my first event on R-comps, I can't make any comparisons there either. My car was essentially stock, with Ferrodo DS-2500 pads, ATE fluid, and 245/45-17 victoracers as the only mods.

I also let my instructor, Bill Kim, drive the car in one session. He flogged the hell out of it and was keep up with and passed a T2 prepped M3 roadster (? the hatchback one)... I don't know if that's any comparison point or not. When we were done he seemed to have nothing but praise for the car, especially the brakes.

I'm thinking of going back soon, maybe with PCA in May. If I can't get into that, maybe I'll head up to MSR or try TWS with another group. I'm just itching to get back out there and run again.
LOL!!

So YOU are the one, eh?

Bill Kim is a buddy of mine; we had lunch today and talked about the Evo and about him driving your car at TWS. He did the same at MSR to some other poor soul.

I was at Ed Paez' event that he co-hosted on March 18th with the Supra boyz (all hp and no *****) j/k Anyway, he remains impressed with the car. Another instructor, Jeff F., used to have an S2000, now has a maroon Cobra. He's been eyeing the Evo ever since he got some track time in it.

I do think the Evo is faster than even a nicely massaged M3. AWD coupled with great balance allows the Evo to get the power down hard and early. Judging from what I know from Bill and others, you should be flat footed through pretty much ever corner. On the gas hard with no mercy, as the Evo's AWD setup does a great job attenuating nasty behavior, such as understeer midcorner and oversteer when trying to lay the smack down at track out.

I'll let Bill know we are talking about him over here and ping Jeff on his Evo thoughts as well.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 02:23 PM

BTW, where's Jedinite anyway? Did you go underground or something?
Old Apr 6, 2004, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

here is a sample short vid for you guys; its my 93 Ford Probe GT and myself racing with NASA last year at Beaver Run. I held this guy off for the rest of the race for position in PS-1!

i have other vids if you guys are interested...

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/Ho...ZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

todd

ps hope the link works. its my first time; just signed up with we-todd!

pps sounds good for a bone stock mazda kl-03, eh???
Old Apr 6, 2004, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

d15, I think your write-up was right on.

The end of last summer my Evo was running a Vishnu Stage 1 set-up (minus the cam gears) with more heat resistant brake pads and full set of coilovers. The coilovers make a huge difference at the track, and the power boost from the Vishnu mods was impressive. While I was in stock from the BMWs were passing me.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by frayed
LOL!!

So YOU are the one, eh?

Bill Kim is a buddy of mine; we had lunch today and talked about the Evo and about him driving your car at TWS. He did the same at MSR to some other poor soul.
Well at least it got someone to drive it hard, like it was meant to be driven, that weekend. I sure wasn't going to do it since it was my first time out. When Bill was done the rotors were so hot I couldn't bleed air out of the tires without wearing gloves to protect my hands from the radiant heat.

I'd agree that it was pretty much just flat-out, brake, turn-in, repeat. No worries about power-on oversteer. The only time it would even rotate on me at all was if I lifted or tapped the brakes.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by whiterexman
I'm still pretty mild right now with XEDE (now replace with Utec)
Why did you replace Xede?
Old Apr 6, 2004, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by frayed

whiterex, glad you are back to the track! I took a year off as I've been busy with my business, only now getting a breather to start having fun again. I was at TWS last month. On 235 Kumhos, I was not back in form, but still managed some 2.04's. My fastest time last year was 2.01.xx, but mostly 2.03.xx laps if I was pushing, with a few 2.02s (the .01 could have been an anomaly since I was unable to duplicate it).

It's pretty hard for an E36 to break 2's at TWS. However, a friend has the BMW CCA Stock track record in a Stock class E36, pulling 1.57.00 in a sprint race, on Hoosiers. I've been in the car with him at the .57 pace, and it is brutally fast. . . a whole world of difference from .03's.

2 flat is like the magic number at TWS. IMO it's very hard for any car to get beyond 2 flat. I think I have chat with you before cuz I remember you mentioned Mel's 1:57 time at TWS with a stock prepped E36 M3.

BTW, your low 2:0* is pretty damn fast already. I've never come close to your low 2:0* time with my old E36 M3. My best time with E36 M3 was in the 2:07-2:08 range and it was mild mod with Conforti intake with Bilstein Sports/H&R springs.

Do you or Mel go to the MSC event at TWS?

Even though I have never met him before but I want to ride with him to see/feel how 1:57 E36 M3 feels like at TWS. I have had taste what 1:5* feels like in Becky's purple 911 Turbo and it was just unbelivable.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

I'm thinking of going back soon, maybe with PCA in May. If I can't get into that, maybe I'll head up to MSR or try TWS with another group. I'm just itching to get back out there and run again.
Forget about PCA. It's almost impossible to get in if you don't drive a P-car.

No disrespect for the P-car crowd but some of them have some real attitude problem toward non P-car driver.

Why not try the MSC? It is run by the TWS and you'll always get tons of seat time. (I average about 300 track miles per weekend.) It's $250 for the weekend and the instructors are always free at no charge. Oh btw, the garage space is FREE also and is on first come first serve basis. I never had any problem finding a garage space if I show up early Saturday morning.

Check them out:

http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/msc.htm

Last edited by whiterexman; Apr 6, 2004 at 04:06 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 954DRGSR

Why did you replace Xede?
The main reason is that I want the ability to datalog so I can see how my car is doing on the track. PM me if you would like to discuss it with me as I do not want to get into "who's product is better" here as this thread has nothing to do with it.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

I was going to do the PCA event because someone else I know was going to try to get in on that... he has a Boxster though, so it'd be easier for him to get in. I had also heard they're pretty selective from a Porsche owner at the other event at TWS, and I was a little skeptical they'd let in a non-german car with a relatively inexperienced driver.

Someone else on here was trying to get me to do the MSC event coming up, but I think it was kind of short notice for me and my finances were a little wacky so I was waiting for that situation to settle a bit before I committed to another track day.

Maybe I could swing the May 15-16 MSC event if PCA doesn't come through.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

I was going to do the PCA event because someone else I know was going to try to get in on that... he has a Boxster though, so it'd be easier for him to get in. I had also heard they're pretty selective from a Porsche owner at the other event at TWS, and I was a little skeptical they'd let in a non-german car with a relatively inexperienced driver.

Someone else on here was trying to get me to do the MSC event coming up, but I think it was kind of short notice for me and my finances were a little wacky so I was waiting for that situation to settle a bit before I committed to another track day.

Maybe I could swing the May 15-16 MSC event if PCA doesn't come through.
PCA event is probably the worst event out there for anybody who wants to start tracking. I'll say stick with TDE or try the MSC for a change.

As for me... I'm cheap and tracking is one expensive sport so I'll just stick with MSC as it offers most seat time for the least amount of money.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 04:18 PM

Whiterex, unfortunately Mel lives in Atlanta. . . however, he's due back to hang out in Austin. I told him that when he comes, I'll let him co-drive my car (whatever I have) at TWS. That dude has some serious skills and is a great guy to boot. BTW, Mel and I are both eyeing the gray Evo MR. . . he says he'll out drive me in the same car. He will.

MSC is the club of choice. However, with two kids at home, one 4 mos. old, it's tough for me to pull out of town for a whole weekend. So, the plan is to go to Ed's Thursday events. I'll try to do one or two MSC weekends a year though.

Anything below 2.00 is pretty fast. I'm not that good a driver , but I do think it will come, or below 2.01, if I keep at it. . . though it was hard getting below 2.05's, and now, every tenth is brutal (at least it was when I was driving all the time, now I'm still rusty).

As to the PCA, fogettaboutitt. I found them to be a bunch of goosestepping ***** that hate all nonPcar drivers. They seem to be especially nasty about BMW's, I cannot even imagine how they would react to an extroverted Evo. I won't do any of their events. Funny thing is, the GT3 is on my list of cars, and if I did ever get one, I'd never go to the Pcar events. All this is based on my personal experience, others may love their events. So, take my input as just one person's experience. . .
Old Apr 6, 2004, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

The Evo pulls harder and has more capability than the e36, but the e46 will pull from an evo, especially anywhere above 65mph, I have both the E46 and Evo at my disposal and the evo is faster and more nimble in the corners because of AWD, brakes, steering ratio and because of the way it is geared, but the big german inline 6 pulls much harder than the evo engine does and does it with much more smoothness and control. I agree with the brakes being better on the evo, but the M3 was not designed to race, it is a autobahn burner/ Gt/ touring car, the Evo really is a race car and feels like a race car!

My 1$
Old Apr 6, 2004, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Attached Thumbnails Jedinite and others, track prowess of Evo. . .-389369_56_full.jpg  

Quick Reply: Jedinite and others, track prowess of Evo. . .